« Topics
noggin12,339 posts since 26 Jun 2001
RT is where impressionable young Western journalists go to get their first step on the ladder, if your career is on it's last leg or a Putin apologist.

It is extraordinary it's permitted terrestrial spectrum here. It took over twenty years of procrastination, debate, and reviews for C4 to arrive. Today, any old crap is granted a licence to broadcast, on what is a finite (and reducing) resource.

And yet other news channels such as CNN and Euronews don't have a place on the UK's DTT platform.

RT is Putin propaganda at its finest.

Putin is bankrolling RT - so they will pay. CNN and Euronews clearly don't see Freeview as financially viable?
London Lite7,659 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
You think RT is bad (which undeniably it is), but Press TV surely takes the accolade for the worst TV propaganda channel to hit our screens here.

Ex Press TV correspondent Lizzie Phelan who's packages got Press TV's licence revoked in the UK is now working for...RT!
MetalGearRex1,050 posts since 11 May 2016
London London

It is extraordinary it's permitted terrestrial spectrum here. It took over twenty years of procrastination, debate, and reviews for C4 to arrive. Today, any old crap is granted a licence to broadcast, on what is a finite (and reducing) resource.

And yet other news channels such as CNN and Euronews don't have a place on the UK's DTT platform.

Putin is bankrolling RT - so they will pay. CNN and Euronews clearly don't see Freeview as financially viable?

Not sure about Euronews.

Turner have the bank to make sure that CNN is on Freeview - sadly the capacity is being used for a dull reality/crime channel on the platform (and one that is under threat of closure).
'What is the only planet capable of sustaining life?'
'Mars.'
newsman1
UTV Newsline

Euronews isn't even on Freesat anymore.
noggin12,339 posts since 26 Jun 2001

Turner have the bank to make sure that CNN is on Freeview - sadly the capacity is being used for a dull reality/crime channel on the platform (and one that is under threat of closure).

It's not a case of 'having the bank' - lots of broadcasters have the financial capacity to fund a slot. It's whether they will make money doing so, that informs the business sense in doing so. News channels don't historically generate a huge amount of commercial revenue.
John Koenig46 posts since 15 Dec 2016
London London
As for propaganda, I think they all play that game.

Seriously - they don't. Sky, ITN and BBC are as far away from RT journalistically as it is possible to be.

RT is propaganda - clever propaganda, but propaganda nonetheless. Sky, ITN and the BBC are editorially independent of the UK govt, not a mouthpiece for it.

If you believe that, it's up to you. I am not denying RT is propaganda, but our news organisations all have agendas of their own as well. Not on the same level as RT, but I don't believe that our news organisations are completely free of agenda.

Our news organisations are so independent of the government, that goverement can control at any time, what they report, if it so choses.
newsman1
UTV Newsline
As for propaganda, I think they all play that game.

Seriously - they don't. Sky, ITN and BBC are as far away from RT journalistically as it is possible to be.

RT is propaganda - clever propaganda, but propaganda nonetheless. Sky, ITN and the BBC are editorially independent of the UK govt, not a mouthpiece for it.

If you believe that, it's up to you. I am not denying RT is propaganda, but our news organisations all have agendas of their own as well . Not on the same level as RT, but I don't believe that our news organisations are completely free of agenda.

Our news organisations are so independent of the government, that goverement can control at any time, what they report, if it so choses.

They have only one agenda - to tell us what is happening in the world.
MetalGearRex1,050 posts since 11 May 2016
London London

It's not a case of 'having the bank' - lots of broadcasters have the financial capacity to fund a slot. It's whether they will make money doing so, that informs the business sense in doing so. News channels don't historically generate a huge amount of commercial revenue.

Hence why most aren't on the platform. Makes sense though, a news channel won't make as much money as an entertainment channel for instance. Sky News loses money, but that is negated by the money made from Sky's pay TV service and other channels such as Sky1, Atlantic, Cinema and Sports to name a few.
'What is the only planet capable of sustaining life?'
'Mars.'
John Koenig46 posts since 15 Dec 2016
London London

If you believe that, it's up to you. I am not denying RT is propaganda, but our news organisations all have agendas of their own as well . Not on the same level as RT, but I don't believe that our news organisations are completely free of agenda.

Take the BBC for example, not without criticism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_BBC

I think it's very naive of someone to assume all reporting is 100% free.
Last edited by John Koenig on 24 December 2016 9:42pm
London Lite7,659 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London

Take the BBC for example, not without criticism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_BBC

I think it's very naive of someone to assume all reporting is 100% free.

The difference is that editors control the agenda, not the government, although there will be some bias to target audiences. RT has Putin at the top with Margarita Simonyan as his chief propagandist.

RT's coverage of Ukraine and Syria is skewed towards Putin's interests.