The Newsroom

NEWS at TEN - January 2016 Relaunch

Big Ben & Bradby (January 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
Didn't know where else to post this but its 11 years to the day that the ITV News Channel closed down.

VM
VMPhil
I remember watching that (and my posts in the thread at the time which I don't wish to revisit!). In fact I think I watched the channel most of the day. It was supposed to close after Christmas but they moved it forward so staff weren't working over the holiday season on something that was going to shut down soon anyway.

Good of ITN to not go quietly but have a full programme on the closure of one of its services, it even includes some objective comments from a non-ITN journalist.
GM
GMc
Can't believe it's been 11 years... Shocked Shocked Shocked

32 days later

BA
Barney
Awesome ending to NaT tonight.
EL
elmarko
Any other information you wanna add to that? Because right now I've no idea why your post is good or bad Smile
bilky asko and Brekkie gave kudos
NE
newsman1
The criticism of Tom is unfair.

It was very good of him to do Q&A sessions on his Facebook page.

Furthermore, Peston is informative and amusing.

There's nothing wrong with a newscaster having a cult following.

Here's one of the positive comments made under one of Tom's posts (22 January at 19:24).

Joy Flowers said:

Quote:
This is why I now watch itv news. Both your views and Peston's are free and unleashed. You're allowed to have your own views and express them. Great piece Tom.
SK
Skygeek

Here's one of the positive comments made under one of Tom's posts (22 January at 19:24).

Joy Flowers said:

Quote:
This is why I now watch itv news. Both your views and Peston's are free and unleashed. You're allowed to have your own views and express them. Great piece Tom.

You have stated these opinions as though they are facts. You are welcome to them, but they should be qualified as such, and plucking out third-party opinion of one other viewer does nothing to solidify your argument.

A communication style like this is part of why Trump is taking so much stick right now, so I'd say the same thing even if I agreed with you.
Last edited by Skygeek on 24 January 2017 6:50pm
NE
newsman1

Joy Flowers said:

Quote:

You have stated these opinions as though they are facts. You are welcome to them, but they should be qualified as such, and plucking out third-party opinion of one other viewer does nothing to solidify your argument.

I'd say the same thing even if I agreed with you. It's just rude and standoffish.

It's not the only positive comment that has been made on Tom's Facebook page. There's a lot of such comments there.
SK
Skygeek
You'll notice I've taken back "rude". What I meant is that declarative sentences on what is strictly a matter of opinion won't endear anyone to your argument.
NE
newsman1

You'll notice I've taken back "rude" . What I meant is that declarative sentences on what is strictly a matter of opinion won't endear anyone to your argument.

I only noticed that after I replied to your original comment. Tom's style of presentation isn't much different from Alastair Burnet referring to "the Moon the cow jumped over" during the coverage of the 1969 landing.

Thanks for taking back that word.
SK
Skygeek
I don't think Sir AB ever stuck in jokey asides that were almost never funny or kept using the word "we" in cues without ever clarifying what "we" actually meant in any given context, but you're entitled to your opinion.
GMc, newsman1 and scottishtv gave kudos
DA
davidhorman
Awesome ending to NaT tonight.

Err, was it? Which bit? The awkward staring off camera after James Mates had finished talking? Or the too-long shot of the White House (Whi' House, as Tom pronounces it) before the credits finally appeared?

Quote:
You're allowed to have your own views and express them.

That's exactly why I don't like Tom Bradby as a news anchor. I want news , not an op. ed. I don't want Tom shaking his head sadly and tutting - I'm perfectly capable of being depressed at the state of the world by myself. He comes across like a parent trying to teach their toddler why they shouldn't hit.

That said, it's been a while since I watched NAT, so I'm watching last night's now and he has improved a bit. I wish he'd stop sucking his teeth before he talks though. Still some work to be done on pronouncing those Ts and Ds, though, Tom.

Did he have to have a cheek mic, though? It sounded awful. He's either shouting or sounds like he is.

I hope Julie gets her eye looked at...
GMc, ETP1 Forever and VMPhil gave kudos

Newer posts