TV Home Forum

21st Century Fox takeover over Sky bid

Threat of closing Sky News - Page 12 (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PI
picard
Just being reported on Sky News that 21st Century Fox are bidding to take over Sky PLC.

Quote:
US media company 21st Century Fox has tabled a takeover bid for Sky PLC.

"The Independent Directors of Sky PLC note today's share price increase, and announce that Sky has received an approach from 21st Century Fox, Inc," the company, the owner of Sky News, said in a statement.

"After a period of negotiation, the Independent Directors of Sky and 21st Century Fox have reached agreement on an offer price of £10.75 per share in cash, less the value of any dividends subsequently paid by Sky.

"However, certain material offer terms remain under discussion and there can be no certainty that an offer will be made by 21st Century Fox, nor as to the terms of any such offer."

http://news.sky.com/story/21st-century-fox-tables-takeover-bid-for-sky-plc-10689526

Wonder what will happen to Sky News, before they were going to split it.
Last edited by picard on 9 December 2016 4:18pm
:-(
A former member
Thats confusing I thought there were both owned by the same person?
DE
derek500

You're not the only one!!!!
PI
picard

Murdoch has nearly 40% of Sky already.
A former member

Thats what I thought, but didnt the last time he tried to get full control there had to put claws in relation to sky news, then hacking scandal happened and it was all dropped?
why cant the media just say "Murdoch trying take full control over the sky"
DV
DVB Cornwall
Reported that Sky's directors are about to recommend this offer to Shareholders. Very fast moving and typical of RM to do this on a Friday afternoon in December.
PI
picard

Thats what I thought, but didnt the last time he tried to get full control there had to put claws in relation to sky news, then hacking scandal happened and it was all dropped?
why cant the media just say "Murdoch trying take full control over the sky"

I don't understand it fully to be honest.

Murdoch started 21st Century Fox, later he also started Sky, which then merged with BSB (British Satellite Broadcasting), to form BSkyB (British Sky Broadcasting). So he did not own the whole of BSkyB. He was going to take over BSkyB in 2010, but did not due to the whole hacking scandal, since then 21st century Fox has been changing things around on the business side. The BSkyB name was changed to Sky PLC when Sky took over the Germany business. Now Murdoch has made another attempt and this time it looks as if he will be successful.

Scary!
A former member
There is something very doggy about this deal..... remember what happened back in 2014
Quote:

On 12 May 2014, BSkyB confirmed that it was in talks with its largest shareholder, 21st Century Fox, about acquiring 21st Century Fox's 57.4% stake in Sky Deutschland and its 100% stake in Sky Italia. The enlarged company (dubbed "Sky Europe" in the media) will consolidate 21st Century Fox's European digital TV assets into one company.[63][64] The £4.9 billion takeover deal was formally announced on 25 July, where BSkyB would acquire 21st Century Fox's stakes in Sky Deutschland and Sky Italia. BSkyB also made a required takeover offer to Sky Deutschland's minority shareholders,[65] resulting in BSkyB acquiring 89.71% of Sky Deutschland's share capital. The acquisitions were completed on 13 November.[9] British Sky Broadcasting Group plc changed its name to Sky plc to reflect the European acquisitions, and the United Kingdom operations were renamed to Sky UK Limited. Sky plc bought out the remaining minority shareholders in Sky Deutschland during 2015, using a squeeze-out procedure to obtain the remaining shares and delist Sky Deutschland on 15 September 2015.

Share price is still lower than what it was at the start of the year: https://corporate.sky.com/investors/shareholder-centre

Who are the other share holders?
PI
picard
There is something very doggy about this deal..... remember what happened back in 2014
Quote:

On 12 May 2014, BSkyB confirmed that it was in talks with its largest shareholder, 21st Century Fox, about acquiring 21st Century Fox's 57.4% stake in Sky Deutschland and its 100% stake in Sky Italia. The enlarged company (dubbed "Sky Europe" in the media) will consolidate 21st Century Fox's European digital TV assets into one company.[63][64] The £4.9 billion takeover deal was formally announced on 25 July, where BSkyB would acquire 21st Century Fox's stakes in Sky Deutschland and Sky Italia. BSkyB also made a required takeover offer to Sky Deutschland's minority shareholders,[65] resulting in BSkyB acquiring 89.71% of Sky Deutschland's share capital. The acquisitions were completed on 13 November.[9] British Sky Broadcasting Group plc changed its name to Sky plc to reflect the European acquisitions, and the United Kingdom operations were renamed to Sky UK Limited. Sky plc bought out the remaining minority shareholders in Sky Deutschland during 2015, using a squeeze-out procedure to obtain the remaining shares and delist Sky Deutschland on 15 September 2015.

Share price is still lower than what it was at the start of the year: https://corporate.sky.com/investors/shareholder-centre

Who are the other share holders?

Not sure of significant holders, but I used to be one small holder. With all my £150 worth. Very Happy
RI
Rijowhi
Just being reported on Sky News that 21st Century Fox are bidding to take over Sky PLC.

Quote:
US media company 21st Century Fox has tabled a takeover bid for Sky PLC.

"The Independent Directors of Sky PLC note today's share price increase, and announce that Sky has received an approach from 21st Century Fox, Inc," the company, the owner of Sky News, said in a statement.

"After a period of negotiation, the Independent Directors of Sky and 21st Century Fox have reached agreement on an offer price of £10.75 per share in cash, less the value of any dividends subsequently paid by Sky.

"However, certain material offer terms remain under discussion and there can be no certainty that an offer will be made by 21st Century Fox, nor as to the terms of any such offer."

http://news.sky.com/story/21st-century-fox-tables-takeover-bid-for-sky-plc-10689526

Wonder what will happen to Sky News, before they were going to split it.

Yes it will be interesting to see what happens with Sky News... I had a feeling Sky would be bought by Fox very soon but this is even sooner than I expected.
TR
TROGGLES
Seems that despite the despicable behaviour of some people in the parent company - some of which are now actually running it - they will be allowed to take full control over SKY.

At least with some UK shareholders some of the money was returned to the UK. Now all of the profits will go to Murdoch's corporation draining even more out of UK broadcasting and production.

Time for the competition commission to come in and break the company up as they did with BAA. Its too big and not in the interests of the UK population. I doubt it will happen as the Tories are in hock to Murdoch & his minions.
HC
Hatton Cross

Murdoch started 21st Century Fox, later he also started Sky..

He didn't 'start Sky' either.
He brought the Sky channel, which was a low budget general entertainment cable channel in Swindon.

Newer posts