TV Home Forum

BBC Executives considering a BBC THREE hour

BBC TWO most likely earmarked for the hour of youth programming (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RE
Rex
Is that an hour a day or an hour a week - the latter seems more likely. BBC3 content is pretty much non-existent in the schedules at the moment - indeed just gone through the Christmas listings and nothing stands out as being BBC3 content.

Why are you expecting to find BBC3 content at Christmas? Most of their output is documentaries, how many of those are suitable for Christmas? Even when BBC3 was a fully-fledged channel it showed mostly films and repeats at Christmas. It is a totally atypical schedule to be drawing any conclusions from.

Also, the general point is that there is less BBC3 content than there used to be but that is also part of the BBC-wide move towards making fewer, bigger things. They may have made more hours of programming in the past, but that included several hundred hours of things like Live At Johnnys and Celebrity Scissorhands that cost about 50p to make and were made for the sake of filling the schedules. Do you want umpteen series of that for the sake of having umpteen series or for the same price have one good series of Fleabag? Pretty sure most would opt for the latter.

Absolutely ridiculous - for weeks there's been barely any BBC THREE content on ONE and TWO. Doesn't that contravene BBC Trust rules on how much BBC ONE and TWO have to show BBC THREE content a week?

What rule was that? The pledge was that long-form BBC3 content would be shown on BBC1 and BBC2, and that's what they've done. It doesn't need to be X numbers of hours a week, it can be shown where it's appropriate. Some weeks they might show a lot - like they did a month or two ago when the Tuesday 10.45 slot on BBC1 was more or less a full-time BBC3 zone anyway, or when they were showing Thirteen, Fleabag and Murder In Successville on BBC2 on Sunday nights - and sometimes they might show a bit less. Depends what they've got and where it'll fit in the schedules. The other month they showed a Reggie Yates documentary at 9pm on BBC1. Even the Comedy Feeds have been shown on BBC2. I'm not even sure some of those were shown on BBC3 when it was a channel.

Better to wait for when they have the best place to put in then just dump it on for the sake of showing it. Average it out over several months, not one week. And again, they're not going to be able to churn out several shows a week because that's not what BBC3 is doing, because of this fewer, better thing. You may wish to compare the amount of new British content per week with that on Sky 1 and I don't think BBC3 would be found wanting in that regard.

BBC One as a outlet for Three content isn't as practical as Two is. Much of what it had shown from Three (Cuckoo, Asian Provocateur and Josh) would have fitted better on BBC Two.

I don't especially agree with that, either. Josh is a big broad sitcom that fits perfectly well on BBC1 alongside things like Mrs Brown. I don't see much difference between late night BBC1 and late night BBC2, except one gets a compatible lead-in from shows like Graham Norton and Match of the Day, and one gets a less compatible lead-in from Newsnight. When BBC3 started in 2003 most of the terrestrial repeats were on late night BBC1 as well. And they've shown plenty of stuff on BBC2 too.

I thought that across both One and Two, there would be a set limit of programming for 2 hours a week. I digged through the mentions of One and Two showing Three content and it seems that it has to be shown at a later date - as they see fit and producing programmes for younger audiences. I stand corrected.

Honestly, with regards to BBC One not being as practical as Two for Three shows, wasn't the case made that BBC Three and Four (or Choice and Knowledge) made BBC Two a less distinctive service? Taking some of the Three shows to Two would alleviate this.
BR
Brekkie
Granted Christmas on BBC3 may have been filled with repeats but it was repeats aimed at an audience not catered for by BBC1 or BBC2. You don't need to look any further than the Christmas Day BBC1 schedule to see how poorly any adult under 40 is treated by the BBC.
Last edited by Brekkie on 6 December 2016 11:02pm
JA
JAS84
True. I'm 32, and Doctor Who is the only show in their lineup I plan to watch.
RE
Rex
Granted Christmas on BBC3 may have been filled with repeats but it were repeated aimed at an audience not catered for by BBC1 or BBC2. You don't need to look any further than the Christmas Day BBC1 schedule to see how poorly any adult under 40 is treated by the BBC.

Only will be bothered to watch Citizen Khan and Doctor Who - my family also love to watch the films on BBC One.

Aside from the BBC Three repeats on One and Two, which is already sporadic to begin with - I gravitate towards the other terrestrials or multichannels such as ITV2, E4 and Sky1.

Might feel like buying either the RadioTimes or the TV and Satellite Week to see what's on offer.
SW
Steve Williams
Granted Christmas on BBC3 may have been filled with repeats but it were repeated aimed at an audience not catered for by BBC1 or BBC2. You don't need to look any further than the Christmas Day BBC1 schedule to see how poorly any adult under 40 is treated by the BBC.

Those well known pensioner favourites, Frozen and Doctor Who. Don't recall that being an issue when Christmas Day offered up The Two Ronnies, Last of the Summer Wine and Miss Marple.
VM
VMPhil
I don't see much difference between late night BBC1 and late night BBC2, except one gets a compatible lead-in from shows like Graham Norton and Match of the Day, and one gets a less compatible lead-in from Newsnight.

Would you say that's a good thing though? I think BBC One has a very strong position or identity or whatever you want to call it, but it feels like BBC Two has lost that over the last 10-15 years or so, or at least ceded some of it to BBC One. Especially when shows are liberally moved from one channel to the other (such as QI and Live at the Apollo)
BR
Brekkie
BBC3 did have a post news slot on BBC1 when it launched. I think the content fits OK there but if it's a couple of hours a week Sunday nights from 10pm (or ideally 9pm) on BBC2 would be the best fit IMO.

Content though is just getting lost now - viewership of BBC3 programming will certainly be down and I wouldn't be surprised that if without the TV channel to support it the iPlayer figures are down too. It's also ridiculous that Class has been broadcast on TV channels around the world but still hasn't had a TV airing in the UK - I thought content was supposed to get a BBC1/2 slot within a week or so of release.
RE
Rex
BBC3 did have a post news slot on BBC1 when it launched. I think the content fits OK there but if it's a couple of hours a week Sunday nights from 10pm (or ideally 9pm) on BBC2 would be the best fit IMO.

Content though is just getting lost now - viewership of BBC3 programming will certainly be down and I wouldn't be surprised that if without the TV channel to support it the iPlayer figures are down too. It's also ridiculous that Class has been broadcast on TV channels around the world but still hasn't had a TV airing in the UK - I thought content was supposed to get a BBC1/2 slot within a week or so of release.

As for the conflict on whether they'd want the Three hour to be in place of Newsnight or displacing it at 11pm, why not do the Three hour in the weekends? Stops short of conflicting the schedule.
:-(
A former member
There already did that.....

BR
Brekkie
Sundays did stop though.
Josh, dbl and watchingtv gave kudos
JF
JetixFann450
Hm.

DB
dbl