TV Home Forum

Sky Box office being shutdown Jan 4th

Sky to shutdown Box Office channels after 20 years (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PI
picard
Sky is to shutdown it's box office channels on January 4th 2017.

The future is now.

KE
kernow
After the launch of Sky Store, it was only a matter of time before this happened.

I expect that Sky Store is a lot cheaper to run than 20 odd linear TV channels.
TVF
TV Forum Team
This topic has been moved from The Newsroom .
KU
Kunst
Is someone able to repost that promo for non-British people? It's geoblocked Sad
RE
Rex
I am not surprised about this.

The Sky Store has clearly proved to bring down the Box Office services to its knees. Box Office has diminished for some time - with channels being closed left, right and centre. The last vestiges of what's left will free up EPG slots of course - and costs willl go down as a result of closing Box Office. Having an on-demand rental service is cheaper than multiple channels that are now only appealing to a small user base.

The Sky firing squad is stocking up for this mass cull...
LL
Larry the Loafer
I'm surprised it lasted this long, but it's sad to see the end of an era. Where does that leave Sky Sports Box Office?
RE
Rex
I'm surprised it lasted this long, but it's sad to see the end of an era. Where does that leave Sky Sports Box Office?

Sky Sports Box Office will continue as is - the Cinema Box Office services are being put on roll call for the Sky firing squad.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Makes sense, I suspect the Sky customer base who don't use the internet (or have slow internet) is minute.

At least for PPV movies, there will be no difference between Sky and NOW TV customers with a box.
NW
nwtv2003
End of an era, but I echo the comments that I'm amazed it's lasted this long to be honest. Even the idents have switched to Sky Store after the Cinema rebranding.

You have to remember at launch it was a good idea, even better if you didn't have a Movies subscription. Back in the analogue days you could record them onto video as well, it saved us a few quid in our household.
RE
Rex
End of an era, but I echo the comments that I'm amazed it's lasted this long to be honest. Even the idents have switched to Sky Store after the Cinema rebranding.

You have to remember at launch it was a good idea, even better if you didn't have a Movies subscription. Back in the analogue days you could record them onto video as well, it saved us a few quid in our household.

I am actually surprised that it's lasted longer than I thought - but from the constant promotion of the Sky Store and the minute number of users still on Sky Box Office, it was inevitable.

I was certain that Sky would pull a move like this, especially after the huge refresh, the Sky Sports Mix launch, and aligning Sky UK, Germany and Italy branches with consistent branding.
Last edited by Rex on 6 December 2016 7:36am
SP
Steve in Pudsey
You say minute number of users, but remember Sky Store only works on HD boxes. Isn't the fact that there are still plenty of old pre Sky+ boxes around cited as a limitation on more channels launching on the EPG?

I guess there is a point where paying to provide the service costs more than the revenue it is taking though.
PI
picard
Sky were giving away HD boxes. I assume they are going to or they are currently replacing these old non HD boxes.

There can't be many left. There are apparently over 10 million HD boxes in use, how many customers does Sky have. Shocked

Newer posts