TV Home Forum

BBC One Christmas Ident 2016 Speculation

Speculation (October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GL
Gluben
I think the promo video is great. It doesn't look very BBC (which is probably why I like it) but is very on trend with what companies do with their Christmas adverts these days - people spending time together, the "John-Lewising" of a well-known song, all that sort of stuff.

Glad they've got 2 fellas kissing, but it kind of feels like they're making a point with it rather than casually dropping it in. It seems to linger on it just a bit too long compared to everything else.

It's nice, agreed, and says a lot about how far the human race has come, but again, I go back to my point on it being focused on people too much. It's bland because it could be for any company. It just doesn't feel magical. Why does it have to be on trend anyway?
IS
Inspector Sands
BBC Spotlight have changed their cover photo on their Facebook page to this which looks like it could be from the end of the ident (or at least the news version) -

Yes, that's the news ident
PI
picard
Who produced it? the two men kissing seems like it's been put in for show.

I really dislike when they put things in your face like that. Who are they trying to impress?

If they were going to do something like this, they should have gone down the route of the Nationwide adverts.

But with people talking about BBC One shows, maybe near a TV or something.
IS
Inspector Sands
Who produced it? the two men kissing seems like it's been put in for show.

I really dislike when they put things in your face like that

I thought they were just kissing!? Wink Laughing
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
Wonder what the DM will make of the kiss if they get wind of it! Laughing
LS
Lou Scannon
Wonder what the DM will make of the kiss if they get wind of it! Laughing

DM?

Danger Mouse?

Confused
LL
Larry the Loafer
If it was a man and woman kissing, everybody would consider it just as insignificant as the rest of the trailer. It doesn't seem to have "dragged on" any more than anything else did.

Put it this way. Instead of trying to tell people to accept it, it could be a way of showing the gay community that they matter just as much as straight people. If it was a 60 second advert of men getting off with each other, then that may be more of a glorified statement, but it's not.

I know most of us prefer things the way they were, but if we could keep that just to television presentation that would be great.
WI
Wicko
If it was a man and woman kissing, everybody would consider it just as insignificant as the rest of the trailer. It doesn't seem to have "dragged on" any more than anything else did.

Put it this way. Instead of trying to tell people to accept it, it could be a way of showing the gay community that they matter just as much as straight people. If it was a 60 second advert of men getting off with each other, then that may be more of a glorified statement, but it's not.

I know most of us prefer things the way they were, but if we could keep that just to television presentation that would be great.

I actually found the gay kiss to be insignificant because 21st Century Britain, despite the political messages that we're all bigots, disunited and divisive, has moved on so much now that everyone, from all walks of life, from all ages and creeds, by and large have developed a wonderful mindset of live and let live. The negativity surrounding anything is merely in the minds of a few rather than the majority. Perhaps some in the Daily Mail version of the real world would have a Brexit vs Remain idea of Christmas rather than a nice universal film that clearly demonstrates everyone coming together for Christmas.
Nathan, clarky and Lou Scannon gave kudos
MD
MrDexB
Two gay men are kissing because they are kissing and nobody cares. Would you care so much about this in person? I always kiss a man and I'm rebelling in our romance, not rebelling in your face or to be on trend! You should be ashamed of yourselves, this should not have been a debate.
PF
PFML84
Remember there is a part of the UK where same sex marriage is still illegal and backwards dinosaur politicians aren't listening to the will of the people to have the law brought into line with the rest of the country.

The gay kiss doesn't bother me. The fact that the film and quite possibly the idents that will come from them are so bland and generic, that's what bothers me.
BR
Brekkie
The framing of the bauble bothers me more - unlike gay rights that is at least something NI got right.
CG
Charlie Gough
The framing of the bauble bothers me more - unlike gay rights that is at least something NI got right.

I was thinking the exact same thing. They just need to zoom in a little further until the bauble completely surrounds the 'BBC One'.

Newer posts