TV Home Forum

BBC Executives considering a BBC THREE hour

BBC TWO most likely earmarked for the hour of youth programming (December 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RE
Rex
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-12-01/bbc-is-seriously-considering-a-bbc3-hour-on-bbc2

Quote:
Senior BBC executives are understood to have formulated plans for a designated BBC3 hour on one of the main terrestrials channels.
The plans, which have been put forward in a briefing document and are understood to have been circulated among the Corporation’s executive board, puts forwards the arguments for a designated slot – most likely on BBC2.
BBC3 has been online for nearly a year now with ad hoc showings on the main terrestrial channels of the best programmes such as the acclaimed abduction drama Thirteen.
But BBC3 shows, which also includes the Doctor Who spin-off Class, haven’t found a permanent regular home - and that may change.
RadioTimes.com understands that the briefing document has prompted senior executives to seriously discuss the possibility of establishing a “BBC3 hour” which will air the best stuff at some fixed point in the schedule.
But where?
RadioTimes.com understands that some executives want the BBC3 hour to air on BBC2 at 10pm but that would mean pushing Newsnight to 11pm – or even moving Newsnight to the BBC News Channel.
However, another permanent home is more likely.
Given the fierce internal battles earlier this year when BBC1’s 10pm news bulletin extended from a 30 to a 45 minute slot - which saw it eat into Newsnight’s 10.30 start time on BBC2 – it is understood that that is a fight that the Corporation's director general Tony Hall is not keen to have again.

Great news to have a BBC THREE hour on BBC TWO - bringing back the distinctive nature it lost since the launch of Choice and Knowledge. However it's going to have serious problems scheduling it with Newsnight at 10.30. I'd imagine that if they don't want to clash with Newsnight, BBC FOUR would have been ideal - but it will alienate the older audience watching.
bkman1990 and orange gave kudos
DB
dbl
To be honest, this should have been considered from the get-go. It makes sense to make BBC3 a block after losing the channel.
PI
picard
I suspect this will not happen.

Unless they plan to axe Newsnight.
RE
Rex
dbl posted:
To be honest, this should have been considered from the get-go. It makes sense to make BBC3 a block after losing the channel.

BBC One as a outlet for Three content isn't as practical as Two is. Much of what it had shown from Three (Cuckoo, Asian Provocateur and Josh) would have fitted better on BBC Two.
KU
Kunst
dbl posted:

BBC One as a outlet for Three content isn't as practical as Two is. Much of what it had shown from Three (Cuckoo, Asian Provocateur and Josh) would have fitted better on BBC Two.

I agree.. never liked the idea of One having BBC3 contents
BR
Brekkie
Is that an hour a day or an hour a week - the latter seems more likely. BBC3 content is pretty much non-existent in the schedules at the moment - indeed just gone through the Christmas listings and nothing stands out as being BBC3 content.
IS
Inspector Sands
An hour a day for 'yoof' programmes... Why not call it DEF II?
RE
Rex
An hour a day for 'yoof' programmes... Why not call it DEF II?

This BBC THREE hour sounds extremely similar to DEF II - but I doubt they'd revert back to that name.

Is that an hour a day or an hour a week - the latter seems more likely. BBC3 content is pretty much non-existent in the schedules at the moment - indeed just gone through the Christmas listings and nothing stands out as being BBC3 content.

Absolutely ridiculous - for weeks there's been barely any BBC THREE content on ONE and TWO. Doesn't that contravene BBC Trust rules on how much BBC ONE and TWO have to show BBC THREE content a week?

All the more reason to start a BBC THREE hour.
SP
Spencer
Maybe they could use the evening down-time on CBBC's streams to show BBC Three programming as a kind of linear channel in its own right. Crazy idea, I know. Wink
RE
Rex
Maybe they could use the evening down-time on CBBC's streams to show BBC Three programming as a kind of linear channel in its own right. Crazy idea, I know. Wink

Doubt it. Ex-BBC THREE HD bandwidth is being sold off to other broadcasters on PSB3 - and there's no way in this day and age that the BBC would launch an SD only channel, even though 9pm - 5.30am is just dead space.
SP
Spencer

Doubt it. Ex-BBC THREE HD bandwidth is being sold off to other broadcasters on PSB3 - and there's no way in this day and age that the BBC would launch an SD only channel, even though 9pm - 5.30am is just dead space.

I wasn't being entirely serious.
RE
Rex

I wasn't being entirely serious.

Fair enough. Wink

Newer posts