TV Home Forum

BBC1 to drop Saturday night Lottery draws

(November 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Johnr
The ambitious Year 2000 draw where pretty much everything went wrong is TV gold, especially with Dale totally ignoring Alan Dedicoat in favour of chatting to Barbara Windsor about how her Christmas went!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSXlMkpwP48
PI
picard
Have not played for years, it always annoyed my how they attached some show to the draw, I just wanted the results!

Most times you would have to watch half an hour of Dale Winton, before they would give you them.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Was it an urban myth that they did that partly to drag the show out to be long enough to register with BARB?
PE
peterrocket Founding member
Johnr posted:
I don't understand the iPlayer deal really, the National Lottery have their own YouTube channel and judging by some of the draw videos on there they generally receive <10,000 viewers, the majority of people just want to know the numbers and know by now it is a fair draw anyway

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNationalLottery/videos

Wow - the draws are quite over the top. I don't think any local draws or national ones are quite like that here in the US. But then again the draws are under a minute and a half long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMR_phtP99k is probably the standard they'll be - that's a Wednesday night draw which doesn't air on BBC.

You can see how easily it's put together with locked off camera shots and graphics presumably also firing off the number callouts from Alan and music.
SW
Steve Williams
Most times you would have to watch half an hour of Dale Winton, before they would give you them.

Surely after 22 years, the audience has worked out they always do them at the end of the show.
BA
bilky asko
Johnr posted:
I don't understand the iPlayer deal really, the National Lottery have their own YouTube channel and judging by some of the draw videos on there they generally receive <10,000 viewers, the majority of people just want to know the numbers and know by now it is a fair draw anyway

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNationalLottery/videos

Wow - the draws are quite over the top. I don't think any local draws or national ones are quite like that here in the US. But then again the draws are under a minute and a half long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMR_phtP99k is probably the standard they'll be - that's a Wednesday night draw which doesn't air on BBC.

You can see how easily it's put together with locked off camera shots and graphics presumably also firing off the number callouts from Alan and music.

The balls, I believe, contain RFID chips; the balls themselves may well fire off everything that's relevant.
JA
JAS84
Wow. I'm quite taken aback by that announcement. Lottery shows in many countries are far less than the BBC have always done (though the current draws are very much slimmed down from the original National Lottery Live, which was an hour long I think and was more or less a light entertainment show, with music, good causes features and items like Mystic Meg). I've always felt that embedding the live draws into prerecorded gameshows is t a bad way to spin it out, but clearly they no longer fit in to what the BBC wants for Saturday nights.
Yeah, the quizzes are often squeezed out of a cramped schedule, especially in Autumn. Now they'll be able to show them any day of the week, or just scrap them.
BR
Brekkie

Surely after 22 years, the audience has worked out they always do them at the end of the show.

Exactly. Looking back at the 90s and for every show people had to sit through with Dale Winton, Anthea Turner or Carol Smilie it was probably worth it for the few shows we had with Bob Monkhouse.

Also back then when people stuck with the BBC or ITV for the night having effectively a 15-minute break in the schedule wasn't a bad thing.
PE
peterrocket Founding member

The balls, I believe, contain RFID chips; the balls themselves may well fire off everything that's relevant.

Fair point.

I'd guess what iPlayer would receive is the same as what goes on YouTube - which makes you wonder why the BBC even bothered to put it forward.

Most people would just use the app to check (push alerts notifying people of winning numbers) or just see them on a tweet and check that way.
BR
Brekkie
JAS84 posted:
Wow. I'm quite taken aback by that announcement. Lottery shows in many countries are far less than the BBC have always done (though the current draws are very much slimmed down from the original National Lottery Live, which was an hour long I think and was more or less a light entertainment show, with music, good causes features and items like Mystic Meg). I've always felt that embedding the live draws into prerecorded gameshows is t a bad way to spin it out, but clearly they no longer fit in to what the BBC wants for Saturday nights.
Yeah, the quizzes are often squeezed out of a cramped schedule, especially in Autumn. Now they'll be able to show them any day of the week, or just scrap them.

I do think it's a shame the BBC haven't used the traditional format (or a variation of it) just to get a bit of live entertainment into the Saturday schedules at the points in the year where they don't have a big live show. I think their was a brief revival of The National Lottery Live a couple of years or so ago but it didn't go anywhere, whilst the performances they do occassionally put on feel very much like just an add-on.
RD
RDJ
If we get the same pre-rec's as the Wednesday draws then surely this must be an end of an era for the Voice of the Balls, 'Deadly' Alan Dedicoat.

Sure he may continue recording the robotic pre-rec announcements but he will no longer announce live, which after just under 22 years is a great shame.

Surely the BBC would not want to break its ties with the National Lottery, as it's only thanks to them they can really justify the big money gameshows.
BR
Brekkie
Presumably the results will still be announced as they are in the week (for now at least) - just remains to be seen at what point on Saturdays they do that as if they do show a "lottery quiz" it would make sense to do it after them rather than after the news.

I don't think ITV would be interested now in taking it on in the way the BBC did - they'd be looking for a purely commercial deal where Camelot pay to show the draw within an ad break I suspect.

Newer posts