TV Home Forum

Has BBC Two just rebranded?

(I'm new here, sorry) (November 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TM
tmorgan96

Hmm it's a tricky one. I think the storm surrounding the Circle idents made them afraid to update them. Losing Bake Off etc makes them even more afraid to spend coin.

I'm sure that's not the only reason but yes it would be nice to have a refresh.

But a proper refresh will take a lot of buck. A partial refresh might be more likely... eurgh.

Part of why the BBC aren't rebranding their two main channels is partially due to DQF cuts and the ensuing furore with Charter Renewal. Once it all blows over - next year, the BBC will finally be gutsy enough to rebrand both.

I think we'll not get anything too spectacular when they do get a refresh.

There doesn't seem to be much money around the BBC at the moment.

Okay, but whoever commissioned these Saturday idents had the money to do so, and even if they didn't cost much, they look great.
:-(
A former member
The same person har money for the black Britain, darts and dragons den...
MR
mr_vivian
Part of why the BBC aren't rebranding their two main channels is partially due to DQF cuts and the ensuing furore with Charter Renewal. Once it all blows over - next year, the BBC will finally be gutsy enough to rebrand both.

I think we'll not get anything too spectacular when they do get a refresh.

There doesn't seem to be much money around the BBC at the moment.

Okay, but whoever commissioned these Saturday idents had the money to do so, and even if they didn't cost much, they look great.

I agree with you on the fact they look great however I would personally think they'd work better as stings and idents should really try to reflect the tone of each BBC 2 program - these stings are a bit on the "loud" side.

As creative and wonderful as they are I think the actual idents would need more thought and effort to stand the test of time like the 90s idents have. If they can create extensions to the current 90s idents then that would be a fantastic compromise.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I love the idents as they look fantastic for a more modern look of the channel. A full set of them would be great for a rebrand.

Also in that particular ident...no BBC Two box logo. Is this even testing the water for a BBC Three/CBBC style logo?

As much as I'd love to see the boxes finally disappear after nearly 15 years, the BBC Two symbol would be one of the better-suited concepts for that format. But that would mean having to find suitable symbols for One and Four. I can't see the same style of box working with full words.

9 days later

:-(
A former member
Having captured the Artsnight ident broadcast this weekend (19/11/16) it may be of note that it was a different arrangement of images to last week's ident.
CY
cylon6
Cavan posted:
https://vimeo.com/185941456
Luke Carpenter posted:
A collection of BBC2 Arts cuts that will be used on Saturday nights on BBC2 - Designed and created by Luke Carpenter.
The people and the animals are keyed stock, the rest of the footage is shot and created with software by Luke Carpenter.

These are great! Would be even better with the correct 2 though.
MR
mr_vivian
Cavan posted:
https://vimeo.com/185941456
Luke Carpenter posted:
A collection of BBC2 Arts cuts that will be used on Saturday nights on BBC2 - Designed and created by Luke Carpenter.
The people and the animals are keyed stock, the rest of the footage is shot and created with software by Luke Carpenter.

These are great! Would be even better with the correct 2 though.

100% Agree

Newer posts