« Topics
rdd3,401 posts since 21 Jun 2001
Seemingly the source is one particular listings magazine which was published yesterday. I'm A Celebrity also appears to be moving. I haven't personally seen it nor as I say has TV3 made any announcement but if it is the case I can see the shutters coming down on UTV Ireland before Christmas.

Edit:still unconfirmed but the story is being picked up by some of the mainstream media now:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/tv3-are-shaking-their-listings-up-a-bit-765232.html
Last edited by rdd on 22 November 2016 10:51am
gottago2,853 posts since 26 Aug 2004
London London
They're not closing UTV Ireland as previously announced but it's clear they want TV3 to be their focus channel. If I'm a Celeb is rating well, perhaps better than what's on TV3 at the moment, then it makes sense to move it.

Though back when TV3 last had it they'd air it on 3E so I assumed it didn't do very well for them in the first place.
p_c_u_k2,069 posts since 27 Mar 2004
I wouldn't be surprised if:
* All premium ITV shows - I'm A Celebrity, the soaps - which were on UTV Ireland hurriedly move back to TV3.
* The station now has ITV's programming to pretty much do as they wish with. As a result, some of the news/current affairs programming which was introduced to fill the gaps may be quietly retired. The Seven O'Clock Show going up against the behemoth that is the Six-One surely spells the end. Any contest between an ITV broadcaster and TV3 is now gone, and TV3 can essentially dominate its schedule with ITV rebroadcasts.
* UTV Ireland's name is changed and TV3 tries to get out of any news commitments the channel has. They were allowed to dropped any commitments for 3e, interesting to see if politicians cause a bit of trouble and demand news provision is retained here. A possible solution would be to introduce an extra news programme on TV3 and allow the other channels to run clear as basic add-ons to the main channel. The issue would be RTE dominate proceedings between 6 and 7, and you don't really want to interrupt your prime-time when everyone has already got the news elsewhere.
JAS844,072 posts since 26 Aug 2010
Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
They're not closing UTV Ireland as previously announced but it's clear they want TV3 to be their focus channel. If I'm a Celeb is rating well, perhaps better than what's on TV3 at the moment, then it makes sense to move it.

Though back when TV3 last had it they'd air it on 3E so I assumed it didn't do very well for them in the first place.
Uh, if it flopped last time they had the rights, that only supports my point.

And just because they haven't announced it, it doesn't mean UTV Ireland will still be on air next month. Look how suddenly Granada Plus closed down. More recently, I'm sure some lesser known channels have suddenly fallen off air without warning.
ColonelRed316 posts since 25 Jul 2005
STV North London
Surely the more obvious idea is to merge UTV Ireland with 3e, and come up wth a new name and image for it. TV3 probably have to make up their impacts from advertising by the end of the year. Anyone know if any deal has been done with the Dublin agencies about the UTV payback ?
Brekkie gave kudos
Rex (previously MetalGearRex) 1,544 posts since 11 May 2016
London London
Just announced on the 5.30 News on TV3 that they will operate as a 3 Channel business. Coronation Street and Emmerdale on TV3 exclusively from Monday the 5th of December.

There was a Broadcast article weeks ago stating that they would operate as a three channel business - rather than pulling UTV Ireland off air. The most likely plan could be rebranding UTV Ireland as an offshoot channel of TV3.

Uh, if it flopped last time they had the rights, that only supports my point.

And just because they haven't announced it, it doesn't mean UTV Ireland will still be on air next month. Look how suddenly Granada Plus closed down. More recently, I'm sure some lesser known channels have suddenly fallen off air without warning.

I really can't see UTV Ireland going the way of Plus. The latter itself was the victim of ITV's consolidation, its desire to have ITV2 and ITV3 at prominent positions, and the growing philosophy of having ITV channels available FTA rather than pay TV. TV3 themselves have said that it's the third channel in its portfolio, making a rebrand possible. However, they haven't even said anything yet with regards to UTV Ireland.
REEEEEEEEE