The Newsroom

Sky News presentation - New studio onwards

(October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
II
IrelandIsle
It's good that they were let loose a little bit with graphics yesterday.

Presentation wise it was back to the high quality of the past, rather than the bland graphics we have seen a lot in the past.

I haven't missed the glass box at all and I don't think the screen there would cut it for an election night.
BR
Brekkie
If they used that studio for Election night I suspect they'd make full use of the atrium and that would probably look quite good.

Of course though they plan to have another studio for evening coverage so that ciuld end up being used on Election night.
II
IrelandIsle
Screen in the new studio is much smaller than the old one.
HT
htchngs
If they used that studio for Election night I suspect they'd make full use of the atrium and that would probably look quite good.

Of course though they plan to have another studio for evening coverage so that ciuld end up being used on Election night.

The Times Square studio backdrop was IMO much nicer than coming from Osterley for this.
II
IrelandIsle
Last nights coverage coming from the box instead of the NY studio would have been awful. The box is way too clinical for a big event. The dull colours and the clinical nature of it would think you are going to a formal meeting rather than an important day in News, I'd have felt so disconnected.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Probably the first bit of light hearted fun from the glass box this morning.

EA
eanok
awks... especially that pause before the weather advert...
htchngs, Josh and Jory gave kudos
PI
picard
They have some Christmas trees.....
DA
DAS Founding member
They have some Christmas trees.....

Underneath the studio is a promo area for whatever is flavour of the month at Sky - VR, Boxsets, whatever else. At the moment it's the Sky Cinema Christmas campaign. So intended less for on screen, more that you see it on screen.
CR
Critique
One thing that has slightly perplexed me in regards to the new studio is why they ended up replacing the glass on the desk with a different piece that contains a cut-out for the screens beneath - all throughout the pilots the glass was one entire piece, with the screens still underneath and obviously visible, but in time for launch it was swapped out with something that doesn't look so good. The BBC, ITV et al all manage with having the screens entirely beneath glass, so is there any reason Sky News couldn't here? I notice on YouTube there's a video of the set build of the Sky Sports News HQ studio, and whilst on screen today the glass again has a cutout for the screens, you can see in the video that originally it was one piece of glass with screens below, so this was also changed late on.
II
IrelandIsle
Glare from the lighting and also from the big screen I would suspect.
PI
picard
Out of interest, what happens to the large screen if there is a royal death?

Do they show a union flag, or turn it off etc.

Newer posts