TV Home Forum

Christmas 2016

Adverts/Trailers/Promos/General TV Presentation etc (October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GL
Gluben
Tesco usually only have music at Christmas time. Morrisons have it all year round. Asda I think are the same as Tesco, as are Sainsbury's, except Sainsbury's has their really annoying announcements every 15 minutes saying things like "Welcome to Sainsbury's! In our chilled aisle, why not pick up some yoghurt to add to a hearty lasagne meal. Sainsbury's - live well for less!".

I don't like Sainsbury's.
ToasterMan and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
JA
james-2001
Asda have music all year round, they have done for as long as I can remember. In fact they have an "Asda FM" with DJs.
RE
remlap
Boots:

Every ones thought it.

BR
Brekkie
CBBC seemed obsessed about making Hacker a social media star on platforms the target audience is supposedly to young to join.
MD
MrDexB
CBBC seemed obsessed about making Hacker a social media star on platforms the target audience is supposedly to young to join.

I'm pretty sure that CBBC has a fair amount of teenagers interested in the channel and shows though. It's not like CBeebies.
DB
dbl
It sort of spills into the Radio 1 audience atm, they recently broadcasted the Radio 1 Teen Awards and they have the Official Chart Show.
BR
Brekkie
So the John Lewis advert had it's TV premiere during Paranoid on ITV tonight, which seems a rather unremarkable programme to debut it in compared to The X Factor (when people watched it) and even Gogglebox. Corrie was on tonight so I'd have thought airing it either during or before or after would have been the better option, not that the TV debut is that relevant nowadays.
DV
DVB Cornwall
The critical John Lewis Customer will have seen it online anyway. I doubt many in the UK with online access hadn't seen it by 6pm. The build up being more effective than the advert imo.

The BBC Three and Eurosport spoofs have both been brilliant too.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Either ITV wanted to try and boost the figures for Paranoid or John Lewis don't think much of their own ad. Then again, it was premiered online this morning. Have they done this with their previous ads? If they haven't, it would've probably been a waste of time "premiering" the advert when a considerable amount of people have already seen it online.
BA
bilky asko
A bit underwhelming this year I think, but I guess they needed an off year.

I see it as a change from the saccharine pap that seems to be a running theme in previous ads.

It's light-hearted, it doesn't have a retch-inducing social message, it's not painfully middle class, and it even hints at the extra-familial unimportance of such events.

I think it's far better than last year's low point, even if the track in the background this time round is pretty forgettable.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
What odds on next year's BBC One ident being a parody of the John Lewis ad with various celebs on the trampoline, and an overhead shot as the endboard with circle?
BA
bilky asko
What odds on next year's BBC One ident being a parody of the John Lewis ad with various celebs on the trampoline, and an overhead shot as the endboard with circle?

That's 50-1. Other odds:

Sprout Boy grows up to be Cabbage Man: 8-1

Sprout Boy prepares a legal case against Aldi for copying his idea of anthropomorphic festive vegetation: 10-1

CGI BBC One personalities play various Christmas games in a CGI representation of Dot Cotton's front room: 12-1

A curtain maker is unhappy after BBC One yet again doesn't buy a red curtain from him. The curtains come to life in order to cheer the man up, recreating various Christmas scenes in the way only a curtain can: 20-1

Greg Scott dressed as Father Christmas: 30-1

Another Gareth Malone choir annoys various people, by singing choral versions of popular Christmas songs at inappropriate moments, including at Len Goodman's house as he's trying to prepare for retirement, with sleeping babies at a maternity ward, and at the residence Father Christmas himself: 75-1

Donald Trump dressed as Father Christmas: 100-1

Simple Christmas Model Scene launched close to Christmas: 1000000-1

Newer posts