TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2015 with 90s idents

NEW: Dragons Den ident with a nod to the past (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DP
D.Page
Nice to see the Scary ident back again

It's just aired at the 1.10am junction, and will obviously air for the Halloween season. It's actually nice to see Scary get shown again, as it captures the essence of horror quite well.

To be completely accurate, Scary never really went away. It's been used on NI, since it was introduced last year, with most late night Horror films, when they are very occasionally shown.
RE
Rex

It's just aired at the 1.10am junction, and will obviously air for the Halloween season. It's actually nice to see Scary get shown again, as it captures the essence of horror quite well.

To be completely accurate, Scary never really went away. It's been used on NI, since it was introduced last year, with most late night Horror films, when they are very occasionally shown.

I assumed that it had been only used for Hallowe'en on Network. But NI has used it more often as you've said.
I stand corrected.
MM
MMcG198

And Network has also continued to use it occasionally. I believe I have a recording of it being used prior to some sort of late-night horror offering in recent months.
DP
D.Page

And Network has also continued to use it occasionally. I believe I have a recording of it being used prior to some sort of late-night horror offering in recent months.

That's correct. I didn't mean to imply it was only NI who have been occasionally airing it since its introduction last year.

As always, NI implemented a far better logo with the ident, and even took the trouble to 'zoom' it out as the camera zooms out, immediately after the mummified 2 raises up from the ground.
Last edited by D.Page on 30 October 2016 11:27am - 2 times in total
:-(
A former member
Never know that, mind finding a scottish verison will be the hardest even last night it was network.
DP
D.Page
Never know that, mind finding a scottish verison will be the hardest even last night it was network.

Cavan has kindly provided a copy from last Hallowe'en, on his YouTube channel:

I'm sure BBC2 Scotland will air it in the small hours of Tuesday morning, leading into Frankenstein and the Vampyre at 12.45am, surely?
TC
TonyCurrie
Fear not. Scary (Scotland) is alive (or should that be dead?) and well and ready for an outing at 23:54 tonight into 'Let Me In'......
DP
D.Page
Fear not. Scary (Scotland) is alive ( or should that be dead? ) and well and ready for an outing at 23:54 tonight into 'Let Me In'......

...or could it be undead?
DP
D.Page
Talking of logos, if BBC2 NI gets a HD channel (hopefully, possibly next year?), I assume that means the approximately forty idents will be having their centralized logos swapped for HD resolution equivalents, in the same way the logos of BBC1 NI HD's circle idents had.
Last edited by D.Page on 30 October 2016 12:21pm - 3 times in total
BR
Brekkie

Doesn't really sum up Americanised commercial nonsense to me.
MM
MMcG198
That's correct. I didn't mean to imply it was only NI who have been occasionally airing it since its introduction last year.

As always, NI implemented a far better logo with the ident, and even took the trouble to 'zoom' it out as the camera zooms out, immediately after the mummified 2 raises up from the ground.

Yes, the zoom of the logo on the NI version was a nice touch.

The size and positioning of that box logo on the Network idents is just horrible. My overall preference (and this includes for NI) would be the use of the smaller box logo and further to the right of the screen - not unlike what they had for the 50 years celebrations.

But generally speaking, I'd like to see a proper set of new BBC Two idents. It's beyond a joke that we've had these 1990s idents brought back out of the cupboard - and for such a long run!

I was somewhat surprised to see that BBC Two is nominated for best in-house channel ident at the upcoming Promax UK awards:

http://promaxuk.com/promaxuk-awards/2016-award-nominations/

Presumably this is related to the small number of themed idents.
DP
D.Page

Yes, the zoom of the logo on the NI version was a nice touch.

The size and positioning of that box logo on the Network idents is just horrible.

Agreed.

My overall preference (and this includes for NI) would be the use of the smaller box logo and further to the right of the screen - not unlike what they had for the 50 years celebrations.

Disagreed.

NI have made the current stacked BBC TWO logo look as good as it can with these idents, IMHO. Centralized, which is what the 90s idents cry out for and look naturally best with, and boxless, so it doesn't overly distract.

Newer posts