TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2015 with 90s idents

NEW: Dragons Den ident with a nod to the past (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DP
D.Page
Good to see Copper getting a Network outing this afternoon!

Copper Cut Out does get used (with italic BBC logo) for the Afternoon Classics strand.

It's always curious to me how they see fit to use it within this strand, but refuse to use it in the normal schedules, and instead, continue to make use of an unsatisfactorily small amount of the original set.
JO
Jonny
Are they still using the stretched 4:3 version?
DP
D.Page
Jonny posted:
Are they still using the stretched 4:3 version?

No, Network fixed it. Fair play to them.

However, BBC2 Wales use their stretched Copper Cutout within the Afternoon Classics strand even after all this time. Unbelievable, really, that they feel it can be broadcast like this, knowing, as they must, that it's no way near geometrically correct. Furthermore, I don't buy the notion that most people wouldn't notice. It's so far out, you'd need to go to Specsavers if you've never noticed.
:-(
A former member

Copper Cut Out does get used (with italic BBC logo) for the Afternoon Classics strand.

It's always curious to me how they see fit to use it within this strand, but refuse to use it in the normal schedules, and instead, continue to make use of an unsatisfactorily small amount of the original set.

Because it looks *really* dated.
DP
D.Page

I'd argue no more than Car or Predator is.
IN
Interceptor

I think that's somewhat intentional - it was designed with linking to archive stuff in mind, hence the darker limited palette and the black & white version (which I'm sure I ever saw on screen).
MK
Mr Kite
Certainly no more dated than Silk. They're live action and abstract so timeless to me conceptually. The main thing against them these days is that they're not in HD.
DP
D.Page
Network aired Kebab to 29" at 3pm, while 2 NI showed the BBC blocks past their playout of Car before cutting to Network's Kebab playout, and then followed by a few seconds of black before programme start.
LO
looknorth

I'd argue no more than Car or Predator is.

I would say Car and certainly Predator are looking fresh especially Predator. I think Copper probably looks the most dated out of the whole set and can see why it's used for Afternoon Classics. I can't understand however how Silk from the original 1991 launch is in regular use (Brilliant ident that it is) but a lot of the others greats from both early on in the set and post 97 are nowhere to be seen on Network? Very strange.

At least the Windows are gone...
DP
D.Page
Since yesterday, 2 NI has reverted back to their former Centenary ident for leading into films, the version without the dream-like effect and with Powder soundtrack, which happens to be the soundtrack that's on their Digi-Beta mastertape of this ident, I have been told.

14 days later

:-(
A former member
Nice to see the Scary ident back again
RE
Rex
Nice to see the Scary ident back again

It's just aired at the 1.10am junction, and will obviously air for the Halloween season. It's actually nice to see Scary get shown again, as it captures the essence of horror quite well.

Newer posts