The Newsroom

Mark Austin leaves ITN

(October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CH
chris
Doesn't say where he is going, there aren't that many openings in any flagship areas anymore with news channels single heading, BBC News Channel having about 10 mins of UK content a day etc.

Maybe he's just bored of reading the news and wants to write books or make single documentaries or something? He's certainly done it for long enough.

Like how Katie Derham went off to follow her dream.

It kind of explains why he did those GMB stints, just as something he could say he'd done, like when Michael Buerk hosted Breakfast, and indeed Nicholas Owen and Peter Sissons' post retirement News channel gigs.

What are you on about?
PI
picard
According to the Daily Mail, he has made a deal with Sky News

Quote:
Feud at Ten: ITV veteran Mark Austin quits the channel after clashes

The seasoned newsman will remain on-air at ITV News until the end of the year. Rumours are that he has already lined up a lucrative role at Sky News, ITN’s biggest commercial rival.

http://dailym.ai/2eT50SS
HO
House
chris posted:

Maybe he's just bored of reading the news and wants to write books or make single documentaries or something? He's certainly done it for long enough.

Like how Katie Derham went off to follow her dream.

It kind of explains why he did those GMB stints, just as something he could say he'd done, like when Michael Buerk hosted Breakfast, and indeed Nicholas Owen and Peter Sissons' post retirement News channel gigs.

What are you on about?

I think Andrew was talking about Mark perhaps wanting to try his hands at something new - citing guest hosting GMB (a different skill set and experience to network bulletins) or Katie Derham moving to BBC Proms and Radio 2 as examples.

I imagine Mark's options were maybe a bit more limited if he wanted to do something different at ITV given Julie Etchingham is already fulfilling the Tonight / special reports brief (likely at a pretty large price tag compared to the average correspondent).

ETA: that said it struck me as interesting that Mark will continue to work with ITN productions, and ITN put out the press release quoting mostly the head of ITN - I'm sure it was ITV who announced Bradby's appointment to News at Ten. Does make you wonder if there's bad blood between Mark and ITV, but not his colleagues/employer at ITN, and therefore whether he appears on Channel 4 or 5 as much as he does ITV.
BR
Brekkie
Well Jon Snow has to retire eventually.
BP
Bob Paisley

I've always reckoned Matt Frei was tapped up to replace Jon Snow, hence him joining Channel 4 News. Although this is pure speculation on my part and isn't backed up by any supporting evidence.
HC
Hatton Cross
According to the Daily Mail, he has made a deal with Sky News

Quote:
Feud at Ten: ITV veteran Mark Austin quits the channel after clashes

The seasoned newsman will remain on-air at ITV News until the end of the year. Rumours are that he has already lined up a lucrative role at Sky News, ITN’s biggest commercial rival.

http://dailym.ai/2eT50SS

Which would swim completely against the tide of Sky News at the moment.
Staff/presenters at Osterley for a long time leaving - new studio which can be run by one person instead of a full studio crew - and here is a story about Sky throwing money at Mark Austin to join them.

And where would he go. If you have a big name, you are going to put them in a slot.
'Sky News At Ten with Mark Austin' perhaps?
BR
Brekkie

I've always reckoned Matt Frei was tapped up to replace Jon Snow, hence him joining Channel 4 News. Although this is pure speculation on my part and isn't backed up by any supporting evidence.

No doubt they had that in mind but if the channel wanted a name to rebuild the brand around I don't think Matt Frei fits that bill. Krishnan certainly has a higher profile, but ultimately they'd have to bring someone in.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I wonder how much of that Daily Mail story is entirely made up?

Both the alleged tensions at ITV and the alleged job offer at Sky. It seems to be based on someone's imagination, not even an "insider"
Last edited by Andrew on 27 October 2016 9:43pm
TROGGLES, Brekkie and Nicky gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
I'd take anything the Daily Mail says with a pinch of salt.
WH
Whataday Founding member

Although they do own 20% of ITN.
BR
Brekkie

Although they do own 20% of ITN.

So I guess a Daily Mail journalist can claim to be an "insider".
AN
Andrew Founding member
I doubt it, especially the low brow gossip they've suggested in the article.

Newer posts