The Newsroom

Mark Austin leaves ITN

(October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KE
kernow
Maybe someone like Steve Scott could replace him?
AN
Andrew Founding member
What's all this talk about him being treated shabbily and demoted from News at Ten?

He went from co presenting a show that is supposedly the flagship but in name only, that nobody watches, to co presenting a show that gets double the number of viewers, still in peak time.

If he'd been demoted to lunchtimes or weekends you'd have a point.

Doesn't say where he is going, there aren't that many openings in any flagship areas anymore with news channels single heading, BBC News Channel having about 10 mins of UK content a day etc.
BK
bkman1990
I'm shocked that he is to leave like this, but in the end, I'm not surprised about it tbh. His newscaster role in ITV News seemingly looked very diminished when he was switched back to The Evening News.

I will miss him on the news as he was a instantly recogniseable face when reading it.

I wish him well on his future career at ITN Productions.
AN
Andrew Founding member
How is hosting the Evening News every day a deminished role?

If that's deminished, what about Alastair Stewart?
TH
TomH
Think Matt Barbet would be a good fit fir itv news
UBox, watchingtv and Lester gave kudos
WO
Worzel
TomH posted:
Think Matt Barbet would be a good fit fir itv news

Or Clive Myrie.
BR
Brekkie
How is hosting the Evening News every day a deminished role?

If that's deminished, what about Alastair Stewart?

It's about moving forward with your role. Whether it's a promotion or a new project returning to a former role a few years later isn't for everyone, and being moved inevitably leaves you asking questions about your employment. Yes, he may have moved to the higher rated programme, but there is no doubt that Tom Bradby is now the channels senior newscaster and has a much more interesting role on News at Ten than just reading the Evening News.
AMM, chris and bkman1990 gave kudos
BK
bkman1990
There is a bit of understanding about what the roles are about in ITV News. Mark in particular has hosted The Evening News on lots
of occasions over the years & on News at Ten. If Mark had his own style of presenting News at Ten other than Tom Bradby's current version of events; how would that suit the viewers do you think?

Tom Bradby's current iteration of News at Ten is fine for what it is at the moment. It can only last for so long. Tom's experience in news reading on is quite limited on the national bulletins considering he has only done a few News at Ten bulletins under his belt not including other programmes of course.

Mark, on the other hand, has years & years more experience of news reading than Bradby. He should have been the right choice to present News at Ten if he was given the opportunity as he is by far the more popular & more likeable personality than Bradby.
SW
Steve Williams
Doesn't say where he is going, there aren't that many openings in any flagship areas anymore with news channels single heading, BBC News Channel having about 10 mins of UK content a day etc.

Maybe he's just bored of reading the news and wants to write books or make single documentaries or something? He's certainly done it for long enough.
SJ
SamJPayne14
I am genuinely shocked and staggered Mark is leaving ITV News. I have watched him for most of my childhood hooked to the news and current affairs of the world. Such a shame Sad
TW
Time Warp
Opportunity here for Sky to reinstate some seniority into their ranks.
AN
Andrew Founding member

Maybe he's just bored of reading the news and wants to write books or make single documentaries or something? He's certainly done it for long enough.

Like how Katie Derham went off to follow her dream.
Last edited by Andrew on 27 October 2016 7:51am

Newer posts