The Gallery

CBBC 1997

What if the 1991 logo was kept despite a change of name? (October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
JAS84
Reading this thread, I figured, let's see how the 1991 logo would've looked with the name Children's changed. I've adapted one of the 1994 idents to read Kids BBC and CBBC.

Original logo:
http://hub.tv-ark.org.uk/images/cbbc/images/cbbc/CBBC-old-Crab-old.jpg

Design 1:

Design 2:
UB
UBox
I Prefer Design 1, the other one seems a bit 'lonely' being just one line and only having the C in a different font. On Design 2 I can also see where you cropped around the C in "Children" so you might want to fix that. In general though, I do quite like it.
RO
rob Founding member
The first design is better than the second.
JA
JAS84
I actually agree. The second one didn't really work because it removed pretty much everything unique from the old logo. Which proves the point in the thread I linked to and that inspired this, about why they didn't modify the existing idents with the new name in 1997. The reason I chose this one was for it's flat colours. I wouldn't be able to do the ones with 3D on them, or with busy backgrounds.

As for the C cropping, well, that's what happens when working with a JPG source I guess (the background is supposed to be one colour). And it's probably a VHS rip.
LL
Larry the Loafer
JAS84 posted:
As for the C cropping, well, that's what happens when working with a JPG source I guess (the background is supposed to be one colour). And it's probably a VHS rip.

There's nothing special about the font used for the C. You could probably substitute it for a more suitable font and not have to worry about cropping an image.
BA
bilky asko
JAS84 posted:

There's nothing special about the font used for the C. You could probably substitute it for a more suitable font and not have to worry about cropping an image.

It's a Futura C.
BR
Brekkie
Kids is probably even more patronising than Childrens.
JA
JAS84
You realise BBC Kids is actually a thing? I guess they thought Canadians wouldn't know what the C stood for.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Kids is probably even more patronising than Childrens.

I don't think children or kids are that bothered about being patronised as much as the industry might think.

8 days later

DT
DTV
Why can nobody use the proper BBC logo? It's widely available. The version used here has square boxes and Gill Sans Regular lettering - the proper version has slightly rectangular boxes and custom lettering. I know it's a small thing, but it looks cheap and it isn't like the proper version is unavailable.

Newer posts