The Newsroom

UTV Live (News) rebrand

New look to bring it in line with ITV (October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
That looks so much better, but were have to wait till 6pm for the desk it seems.

I do like the 2 oaps stealing a picture with one of them making their getaway with a zimmer frame Very Happy
CO
Colm

CO
Colm
I detect a fusion of old and new sets.
MM
MMcG198
Yes, looks like the existing set has simply been reworked slightly to tie in with the ITV News colour scheme. Graphics and picture quality still look horrible on UTV HD. Not surprising really, when one considers they'll be moving to new premises in early 2018.
bkman1990 and Footballer gave kudos
BA
bazinga
Yes, looks like the existing set has simply been reworked slightly to tie in with the ITV News colour scheme. Graphics and picture quality still look horrible on UTV HD. Not surprising really, when one considers they'll be moving to new premises in early 2018.

I suppose they'd rather not spend any money on a new set until the move.
DE
denton
They need to fix the output of their new weather graphics. There is a nasty juddery stripe along the top 10 ish % of the screen, when any of the graphics are moving.
BE
Ben2241

I suppose they'd rather not spend any money on a new set until the move.

I don't understand why they wouldn't. It isn't very hard to derig a set and setup in another studio- happens all the time with other productions. Looks more weird to have a re-jig of the old set than bring a new one in next year. Will be disappointed come 6pm to have a new colour scheme on the old set.
Last edited by Ben2241 on 17 October 2016 2:30pm
PF
PFML84
Perhaps they have the new desk in the old studio? I can't see how taking the studio off air for a week meant that all they did was change the lightbulbs and take the old UTV logo's off and replace them with new ones. That could have been done after the 1pm update and be ready in time for the 6pm programme. I'd like to think they've done something substantial to justify it being off air for a week.
CR
Critique
Perhaps they have the new desk in the old studio? I can't see how taking the studio off air for a week meant that all they did was change the lightbulbs and take the old UTV logo's off and replace them with new ones. That could have been done after the 1pm update and be ready in time for the 6pm programme. I'd like to think they've done something substantial to justify it being off air for a week.

You say that, but in the run up to the 2013 ITV News relaunch all the regions with the generic set decamped to temporary studios, only for a change of lighting and not much else to be the result.
MM
MMcG198
They need to fix the output of their new weather graphics. There is a nasty juddery stripe along the top 10 ish % of the screen, when any of the graphics are moving.

Yep - I noticed it at lunchtime. Didn't spot it during this morning's GMB bulletin when I watched it live but it happened there too:

CO
Colm
They should also try to edit out the audible mouse clicks while they're at it.

Or perhaps get someone to present those bulletins while Frankie's not around to avoid any voiceover recording issues. Give something for Gilly or Jules to do, maybe? Razz
MM
MMcG198
Col posted:
They should also try to edit out the audible mouse clicks while they're at it.

Or perhaps get someone to present those bulletins while Frankie's not around to avoid any voiceover recording issues. Give something for Gilly or Jules to do, maybe? Razz

Well, if you think the mouse clicks are bad, just over a week ago, a male voiceover read one of the weather bulletins and had a TV on in the background. Sounded like a typical UTV ad break. It was VERY audible - particularly during the lengthy gap between the voiceover finishing and the weather sting kicking in. So, at least one company managed a bit of free advertising.

Newer posts