The Newsroom

New look BBC Parliament

Monday 10th October 2:30pm (October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CH
chris
The Music is dire. Go back to David Lowe and get him to do something orchestral that still links in to BBC News.

This music was done by David Lowe. He's posted the full 3 minute clip on his site.

It is awful. Sounds like the theme to a 90s detective series that's already had two too many series.
CH
Charles
David Lowe has produced some really bland stuff recently — the new euronews music is completely soulless.
Footballer and Quatorzine Neko gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
chris posted:
The Music is dire. Go back to David Lowe and get him to do something orchestral that still links in to BBC News.

This music was done by David Lowe. He's posted the full 3 minute clip on his site.

It is awful. Sounds like the theme to a 90s detective series that's already had two too many series.

That's oddly specific!
JA
JAS84
Not a fan sorry. The new logo isn't even used on the L3s.
The same problem has affected Look North Hull since the last new look was introduced two years ago. Gill Sans L3s, Helvetica on the titles.

http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/bbc_yorkshirelincs/news_2014.html
CH
chris
chris posted:

That's oddly specific!

Mainly for comedic effect. Wink The point still stands.
MD
mdtauk
I know it's going against the trend here, but I like the new music. It is different to the (News) style music that preceded it, but it fits the more intimate idea of being close to politics - matches the music used on the small in-between programmes - and harkens back a bit to the past of the channel.

As for the look, I am not so keen. The idea is sound, party colours being represented among the gears and cogs. Just adding colour to the previous spinning device, wouldn't work, but the cogs turn quite slowly, and there is little dynamic movement with them.

The logo... It could be aligned better, but is not bad in of itself. It should appear in a more dynamic way, and should be less subtle.

And of course the on-screen graphics should be updated - not just the logo, but the whole style of it. I guess it is just a sign that it was done in a non co-ordinated way.
DA
davidhorman

If the BBC ever decide to push their spin-off luck (again) and commission Holby Farm, this will be the theme tune.
:-(
A former member
Did the lower thirds animate previously in the same way as the BBC News ones? I'd thought they were static but they all *whooshed* on for PMQs.
WO
Worzel
Did the lower thirds animate previously in the same way as the BBC News ones? I'd thought they were static but they all *whooshed* on for PMQs.

They upgraded BBC Parliament to Viz earlier in the year if I remember rightly, before that they were using Aston. Hence they can now do the BBC News graphic wipes which they couldn't before.
MD
mdtauk

They upgraded BBC Parliament to Viz earlier in the year if I remember rightly, before that they were using Aston. Hence they can now do the BBC News graphic wipes which they couldn't before.

Maybe someone from BBC News will offer them some updated templates to make use of the metallic grey textures, and some multi-coloured replacements for the Red.

50 days later

VM
VMPhil
There's a trailer currently running for the BBC Parliament programme 'Conversations'. It uses a stacked version of the Gill Sans logo, centred in the middle of the screen. So, is that new logo used on the idents a mistake or something?

RE
Rex
There's a trailer currently running for the BBC Parliament programme 'Conversations'. It uses a stacked version of the Gill Sans logo, centred in the middle of the screen. So, is that new logo used on the idents a mistake or something?

Just braindead inconsistency - they're still using the old BBC Parliament logo on iPlayer, promos and on TV guides such as Sky and YouView even though it's introduced a 'new look'.

Why even call it a new look if you've barely done bugger all about the lower third graphics and the logo?

Newer posts