TV Home Forum

Strictly Come Dancing 2016

Split from BBC One 2016 (October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LS
Lou Scannon
I wonder what impact Will Young's withdrawal from Strictly Come Dancing will have on the remaining structure of this year's series?

Unless they either (A) reinstate an already-voted-off couple or (B) have a random future week where there's no vote and every couple survives, then the whole series will run for 1 week shorter than originally planned.
SO
SOL
Good point.

I don't normally watch SCD, do they have double eliminations at any point? They've confirmed there will be an elimination this week, so they would need to do something.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
SOL posted:
Good point.

I don't normally watch SCD, do they have double eliminations at any point? They've confirmed there will be an elimination this week, so they would need to do something.

I believe that there are 12 left, enough for 1 a week to leave until the final on 17th December. But that would only leave 2 for the final which I believe is usually 3.

So it's a case of too many weeks and not enough contestants unless they have a 2 person final (unlikely).
SO
SOL
It'll be interesting to see what they do. Perhaps they will introduce a new couple.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
SOL posted:
It'll be interesting to see what they do. Perhaps they will introduce a new couple.

Actually I think I got it wrong.

There are 12 people, and 10 weeks of competition left. I believe that would still be enough for 3 in the final as things stand.
TL
toby lerone 2016
Actually the last 4 years on Strictly the final has been the top 4 with 1 couple being eliminated at the end of the 1st show or the start of the 2nd show followed by the winner coming from the final 3. Strictly could have a 3 person final and eliminate one between shows with 2 people dancing to become the winner.
JA
JAS84
They probably structure it that way just in case this type of situation occurs.
DA
davidhorman
Having three couples in the final leaves the system open to the fiasco that occured in 2008, where two couples tied at the top for the judge's vote, which left the third couple unsavable by public vote. Or something.

That was a result of someone leaving earlier in the competition as well.
SO
SOL
The Beeb have confirmed on DS that there will be a weekly elimination as was planned and no new celebs will be joining.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/strictly-come-dancing/news/a810769/will-young-speaks-out-strictly-come-dancing-exit-len-goodman-spat/
TL
toby lerone 2016
Having three couples in the final leaves the system open to the fiasco that occured in 2008, where two couples tied at the top for the judge's vote, which left the third couple unsavable by public vote. Or something.

That was a result of someone leaving earlier in the competition as well.

But they changed the format that year so if they have a tie on the leaderboard so the phone votes will always count for instance in a 3 person final if the top 2 tie they both get 3 points then the person in 3rd gets 2 points instead of 1 that year which made it impossible to avoid the dance off and I believe most Strictly finals until 2012 had 3 people in them, only since have they had 4 in them.

Newer posts