TV Home Forum

GMTV of the 1993-2003

Ten years of classic GMTV (May 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
Classic bit of news archive there, the famous "Paedophiles out" protests with a group of people who look like they'd be more accustomed to appearing on ITV at 9:25!

Although the 1998 titles were great,the golden era in terms of presenters and the show being at the top of its game probably came slightly later. You still had the back end of the cheesy Anthea Turner/Ross KellyyMatthew Lorezo kind of era at that point.
:-(
A former member
Just to say the titles everyone likes fist appeared in September 1996. Ross Kelly never left until after 2001.
RN
Rolling News
Classic bit of news archive there, the famous "Paedophiles out" protests with a group of people who look like they'd be more accustomed to appearing on ITV at 9:25!

Although the 1998 titles were great,the golden era in terms of presenters and the show being at the top of its game probably came slightly later. You still had the back end of the cheesy Anthea Turner/Ross KellyyMatthew Lorezo kind of era at that point.

I agree, 2001-2004 was the golden era in terms of presenters IMO, with the pairings of Eamonn/Fiona and Kate/Andrew. John and Penny also had a special kind of chemistry too. But the show seemed to lose something when Eamonn left. He was kinda like the glue that held the show together. Never really rated Andrew Castle or Ben Shephard as lead male anchors.

And I'm still dying to know who that blonde girl is in the 2000 titles!
RN
Rolling News
Just to say the titles everyone likes fist appeared in September 1996. Ross Kelly never left until after 2001.

Was Andrew Castle the replacement for Ross Kelly, and Kate Garraway the replacement for Anne Davies?
:-(
A former member

Was Andrew Castle the replacement for Ross Kelly, and Kate Garraway the replacement for Anne Davies?

Its possible about Andrew Castle, but Kate Garraway joined the same time and Andrew. Anne davies was still with GMTV until spring 2001? with reading the news and sunday review.
WH
Whataday Founding member
According to Eamonn, Andrew Castle was part of a set of changes brought in to attempt to dilute his popularity and his hold over GMTV.
CR
Critique
My favourite era of GMTV titles was the last sequence they used until the got rid of the sun in their graphics:

The lower-thirds are terrible, but the music and the titles themselves still look quite good to this day I'd say.
RN
Rolling News

Its possible about Andrew Castle, but Kate Garraway joined the same time and Andrew. Anne davies was still with GMTV until spring 2001? with reading the news and sunday review.

Just checked Wikipedia, both Kate and Andrew joined in September 2000. Ross left in July 2000, whilst Anne left in May 2001.
AN
Andrew Founding member
According to Eamonn, Andrew Castle was part of a set of changes brought in to attempt to dilute his popularity and his hold over GMTV.

Well if Eamonn hadn't only done 3 days a week and have about half the year off, Andrew wouldn't have been able to get established.

For me the best era was this sort of time

I didn't like it as much when they started using the presenters in the main ident instead of the blue one here.

Notice the celeb led headlines, back when that sort of thing was acceptable, nowadays they'd be slated for it.
Last edited by Andrew on 10 October 2016 10:59pm - 2 times in total
RN
Rolling News
My favourite era of GMTV titles was the last sequence they used until the got rid of the sun in their graphics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mti_w7-CEZU

The lower-thirds are terrible, but the music and the titles themselves still look quite good to this day I'd say.

I really liked this title sequence and music too. The 2009 rebrand was awful IMO. Also found Emma Crosby, as good as she was on Sky, far too middle class for GMTV. I know we all complained about how bad Fiona was at the time, but atleast she *was* GMTV.
WH
Whataday Founding member

Although, the plan had been for the 1996 relaunch in September (when the titles made their debut) to be the end of Anthea's stint... contractual reasons meant that she continued until the end of the year.

Talking of which, this clip of Anthea's final show has appeared. Notice Eamonn's dash off set at the end.

AN
Andrew Founding member
I'm sure when Anthea left, Eamonn was certainly "celebrating tooooo"

Newer posts