The Newsroom

ITV News

Split from ITV News 2013 Rebrand (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
OH
ohdearme
I watched this later and you could tell by Mark's face at the start he was not impressed. Has anything like that ever happened before?

I know the closing sequence has occasionally had the wrong spelling of the Newscaster's Name.

It's live tv so anything can happen. However, things have been sloppy recently. On the previous night's News at Ten (Tuesday) blank credits appeared at the end of the programme. No names had been inserted. Clearly checks of fundamental things aren't happening.
MF
MatthewFirth
How many errors have ITV News made this month? Too many!
:-(
A former member
I know the closing sequence has occasionally had the wrong spelling of the Newscaster's Name.

My particular favourite was 'Juliet Chingham' once.
BR
Brekkie

My particular favourite was 'Juliet Chingham' once.

Bet she folded her arms in disapproval.
CI
cityprod
I watched this later and you could tell by Mark's face at the start he was not impressed. Has anything like that ever happened before?

I didn't think the presenter's could actually hear the output audio until that incident happened. I would have expected them to have had gallery audio only in their earpieces.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
It's quite easy to mix up the voiceovers, I'm surprised it has taken this long to happen. Basically, all the voiceovers are on one page of buttons on SpotOn and each day the Sound Mixer drags and drops the correct one onto the main page of buttons into a particular slot. When the titles are played from the vision mixer, this triggers SpotOn to play a silent wav file which kicks over to the voiceover on the next button when it finishes. This ensures that the voiceover always plays at the right time.

On this occasion, it seems the wrong voiceover was loaded onto the button. Did Alastair and Charlene present the previous evening, by chance? It may have simply been a case of the Sound Mixer forgetting to assign the correct v/o. This is more likely to happen on the 6.30 programme than any of the others because there is such a tight turnaround from London Tonight. All the other bulletins get plenty of rehearsal time when errors like that would be picked up. But with only the last few minutes of London Tonight being pre-recorded, it gives no time at all to do any serious rehearsals. I'm not providing an excuse, but if you cut costs and staff, you can't expect everything to run smoothly all the time.
DO
dosxuk

I didn't think the presenter's could actually hear the output audio until that incident happened. I would have expected them to have had gallery audio only in their earpieces.

You can often hear network / programme audio in the gallery over production talkback.
BA
bilky asko
It's quite easy to mix up the voiceovers, I'm surprised it has taken this long to happen. Basically, all the voiceovers are on one page of buttons on SpotOn and each day the Sound Mixer drags and drops the correct one onto the main page of buttons into a particular slot. When the titles are played from the vision mixer, this triggers SpotOn to play a silent wav file which kicks over to the voiceover on the next button when it finishes. This ensures that the voiceover always plays at the right time.

On this occasion, it seems the wrong voiceover was loaded onto the button. Did Alastair and Charlene present the previous evening, by chance? It may have simply been a case of the Sound Mixer forgetting to assign the correct v/o. This is more likely to happen on the 6.30 programme than any of the others because there is such a tight turnaround from London Tonight. All the other bulletins get plenty of rehearsal time when errors like that would be picked up. But with only the last few minutes of London Tonight being pre-recorded, it gives no time at all to do any serious rehearsals. I'm not providing an excuse, but if you cut costs and staff, you can't expect everything to run smoothly all the time.

I cast my mind back to the rehearsal video I uploaded to YouTube a while back (see 2:00)

I presumed at the time it was previewing the voiceover, but was it a result of Alastair Stewart interrupting the title sequence?
AN
Andrew Founding member
He is right that eyewitness was weak Smile
BR
Brekkie
Some unusual scheduling for the news next Saturday with ITV News bookending the live football with the "evening" edition at 4.15pm and then the "late" edition at 7.15pm, which must make that the earliest the "late" bulletin would have ever aired.
NE
newsman1
Some unusual scheduling for the news next Saturday with ITV News bookending the live football with the "evening" edition at 4.15pm and then the "late" edition at 7.15pm, which must make that the earliest the "late" bulletin would have ever aired.

Does that mean that ITV won't bother with a lunchtime bulletin next Saturday?

Indeed, it is the earliest time the last national bulletin of the day on ITV has been on. Previously, the earliest time was 7:55 on a Saturday back in day when the late Carol Barnes presented the Saturday bulletins.
NE
News96
Lunchtime Bulletin is at 12:25 next Saturday (via Digiguide).

Newer posts