The Gallery

Sit-Up Trio Simulator

A 'bid tv' simulation game (September 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
Bail Moderator
I think the "results" page could be brighter, its a little opaque at the moment, harder to read. I wonder weather a leaderboard to could made too so we can compete!
TV
TVMan
Great work Daniel, I have a few suggestions for the next update, the ability to change the graphics on monitors in the back of shot, the addition of variations of items (eg different clothes sizes) and the ability to have a clock on falling price auctions which counts down to a instant drop. Apart from that, it's a great game
DC
DanielC
Thanks for your comments guys Smile

Bail posted:
I think the "results" page could be brighter, its a little opaque at the moment, harder to read. I wonder weather a leaderboard to could made too so we can compete!

I'll make a note of the results page for the next update. Ah cool, a leaderboard is a good idea - I'll have to have a think about how to go about adding something like that.

TVMan posted:
Great work Daniel, I have a few suggestions for the next update, the ability to change the graphics on monitors in the back of shot, the addition of variations of items (eg different clothes sizes) and the ability to have a clock on falling price auctions which counts down to a instant drop. Apart from that, it's a great game

I'll add these to the list of suggestions Smile

Managed to get webcam support implemented, and finally managed to iron out the problem that was preventing it from running on Mac, so when the next version is ready I'll post a Mac link too.
RD
RDJ

Would be good if we could get this set recreation with this music.

But ideally minus Peter Simon barely stringing a sentence together, saying 'come on' or 'leave it at 'ome', doing some kind of camp walk to the gavel, or falling flat on his face.
richard110888 and ManicPumpkin gave kudos
AL
alexhduk
Would love a mac version so I could have a go this looks amazing!
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
If that video was live (which one would presume it was due to the fact Simon fell over on air (a skill that dates back to at least to the days of Double Dare/Run The Risk when it was a key highlight of the programme)), the phone numbers on screen don't match those he's giving out, so I suspect it wasn't live in the first place (it was usually fairly obvious whether the video was live or not). Though if it was pre-recorded, why would you even use that footage of Simon falling over like that?

IIRC didn't they get caught out once when the same presenter apparently appeared "live" on two channels at the same time?
JB
JasonB
If that video was live (which one would presume it was due to the fact Simon fell over on air (a skill that dates back to at least to the days of Double Dare/Run The Risk when it was a key highlight of the programme)), the phone numbers on screen don't match those he's giving out, so I suspect it wasn't live in the first place (it was usually fairly obvious whether the video was live or not). Though if it was pre-recorded, why would you even use that footage of Simon falling over like that?

IIRC didn't they get caught out once when the same presenter apparently appeared "live" on two channels at the same time?

It was explained in one of the other sit-up threads that back in those days they showed a strand called 'Hot Lots' which were auctions shown the previous day.
HE
Henry1691
It's an amazing simulator and well worth the heaps of praise and then some!

It's completely usable and workable as it is now, but I have noticed a couple of minor bugs which just take away from the realism:

There's a slight error with the logic in rising price auctions. If two or more people bid the same amount, the first bidder in at the price should take priority, but at the moment the first bidder in at a price is the first to be outbid at that price. This isn't a massive bug - it's more of a minor irritation.

And secondly, creating the auction, an impossible quantity will sometimes appear - for example, it's impossible to sell anything with a quantity of 2 or fewer - and a few of the pre-generated lots have small quantities. Because of the quantity limitations in rising price auctions, most of the pre-generated lots end up needing to be tweaked to fit the restrictions.

Overall, though, it seems like this has been a labour of love for a very long time - and the end result is phenomenal.

Just to throw a couple of suggestions into the hat myself - would it be possible to save changes to particular graphics sets? For instance, instead of having to re-edit the custom ticker for each separate auction, the ability to change the default text would just make things a little bit smoother.

I also feel the rising price bidding could do with being slightly more active - there are periods of 2-3 minutes at a time where nobody is bidding, even on massive quantities. Even if it's less realistic than the rising price auctions sit-up had by the end of their time, a slight tweak to the algorithm would make the auctions feel more engaging. Smile
DC
DanielC
Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate your comments Smile

There's a slight error with the logic in rising price auctions. If two or more people bid the same amount, the first bidder in at the price should take priority, but at the moment the first bidder in at a price is the first to be outbid at that price. This isn't a massive bug - it's more of a minor irritation.

This is the way I had it working originally, but changed it after looking at some videos of speed auction tv where it looks like it runs as 'first in, first out'. If you go to around 3:10 on this video someone uploaded, a £1 bidder joins below the top £5 bid, but above the existing £1 bids, pushing them down the list. Did sit-up perhaps change the bidding system at some point? Or does bid tv work differently to speed auction tv?

And secondly, creating the auction, an impossible quantity will sometimes appear - for example, it's impossible to sell anything with a quantity of 2 or fewer - and a few of the pre-generated lots have small quantities. Because of the quantity limitations in rising price auctions, most of the pre-generated lots end up needing to be tweaked to fit the restrictions.

Ah cool, didn't think of that. I'll add that to the list for next update Smile

Just to throw a couple of suggestions into the hat myself - would it be possible to save changes to particular graphics sets? For instance, instead of having to re-edit the custom ticker for each separate auction, the ability to change the default text would just make things a little bit smoother.

I also feel the rising price bidding could do with being slightly more active - there are periods of 2-3 minutes at a time where nobody is bidding, even on massive quantities. Even if it's less realistic than the rising price auctions sit-up had by the end of their time, a slight tweak to the algorithm would make the auctions feel more engaging. Smile

Cool, I'll add these suggestions to the list Smile

RDJ posted:
Would be good if we could get this set recreation with this music.

But ideally minus Peter Simon barely stringing a sentence together, saying 'come on' or 'leave it at 'ome', doing some kind of camp walk to the gavel, or falling flat on his face.

"0906....just buy....090........goodluckifyougeddit" There probably won't be new studios in the next update, but maybe in future updates I could look at adding more studios in. Currently working on adding support for choice auctions, and managed to add support for the graphics collapsing to the bottom of the screen cutting off the tickers, and the ability to change the DOG in the top right of the screen. I don't have an ETA on the next update yet, but when it's ready I'll post a Mac link too Smile
HE
Henry1691
Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate your comments Smile

This is the way I had it working originally, but changed it after looking at some videos of speed auction tv where it looks like it runs as 'first in, first out'. If you go to around 3:10 on this video someone uploaded, a £1 bidder joins below the top £5 bid, but above the existing £1 bids, pushing them down the list. Did sit-up perhaps change the bidding system at some point? Or does bid tv work differently to speed auction tv?

Hey, I think the display order was changed on speed auction, but the bidding system was still the same - a first in, last out kind of situation. Back in the day, the auctioneers would always push the fact that the first person to bid a price would be the final person to be outbid, so I'd assume it's the same.

Ah cool, didn't think of that. I'll add that to the list for next update Smile

It's not a major irritation, but I think it'd just make transitioning between auctions a little bit smoother. Smile

Cool, I'll add these suggestions to the list Smile

Just one more suggestion - and I'm not sure if it's been brought up before - have you considered adding the ability to time-out any auction (rising or falling)?
DC
DanielC
Hey, I think the display order was changed on speed auction, but the bidding system was still the same - a first in, last out kind of situation. Back in the day, the auctioneers would always push the fact that the first person to bid a price would be the final person to be outbid, so I'd assume it's the same.

Ah cool, gotcha. A quick look at the speed auction tv website on web archive also confirms this so I'll add that to the list of changes to make. I have a feeling it's going to be very tricky getting the leaderboard order to be different from the outbid order for speed auction tv, but I'll give it a bash Smile

Just one more suggestion - and I'm not sure if it's been brought up before - have you considered adding the ability to time-out any auction (rising or falling)?

I did think about this at the very start of the project, but when narrowing down which graphics sets I was going to include, the era the game is 'set' in ends just before they started using clocks to end auctions. I think the clocks came in after they changed the graphics to have the small pounds sign instead of the large pound sign on the bid and drop graphics. I could be wrong though.

Maybe in future updates I could look at including a time-out clock. Or could even have the 'close' button active in falling price options so they can be closed manually?
JB
JasonB
I don't have an ETA on the next update yet, but when it's ready I'll post a Mac link too Smile

Hopefully which works on an ipad too Wink

Newer posts