« Topics
London Lite10,264 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
In slightly more relevant news, Rebecca Williams (who also presents/reports for SSN) did the 12-6am shift last night. I think it's her first full night pres shift, but did a try out earlier in the year.

With Divya Kohli also recently presenting recently, it may be that they're expanding the list of cover which seems to be mainly Sam Naz and Claudia-Liza Armah from the freelance pool.
TV Dan
And it's still none of your business.

Bit rich coming from a news producer Rolling Eyes
Brekkie31,158 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
Do people really want analysis of how Brexit is going at 10am in the morning - and wouldn't that sort of thing be better as a weekly show? A shame to see Sky move away from breaking news too at that time considering the BBC already have done too.

Glad Dermot has a primetime slot but was hoping he'd get 5pm - personally would have Colin and Jayne at 10am, Kay from 1.30, Dermot from 5 and Anna from 8.30 or so.

I wonder too if the Sunrise extension to 10am came before or after Eamonn gave in his notice.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
Live at five with Jeremy1,113 posts since 7 Mar 2009
UTV Newsline
We'll just have to wait and see - I was kind of expecting something a bit more like the Live Desk which Colin Brazier presented a few years back with Adam's new show. A fast paced programme, interviews with the news makers of the day and succinct analysis from the correspondents and editors. I'm not sure we're going to see 20 minute panel discussions like SNT. However, we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. I think with it being a 1 hour programme though, it will have to be fast paced and I think it will work well.

For your second paragraph, I believe that changing over at the half our mark could be quite cumbersome. I know they do it for Ian King but that is just a half hour programme. I think the 5-6:30 slot which Jeremy currently has is too short for one flagship presenter going forward with the cutbacks that have been introduced so that is the reason why Kay will assume that 90 minute shift into her own presenting schedule.

It would be interesting to know if that is the case regarding Eamonn. It would have been impossible for him to double job doing Sunrise and This Morning on the same morning as he does quite often if he had to continue through till 10am on Sky and I wonder if that played some part in his decision to leave.
IrelandIsle (previously IsleOfIreland) 225 posts since 1 Sep 2016

- 7-9pm: Sky News Tonight with Dermot Murnaghan (Mon-Weds; Thurs until 8pm)/Sophy Ridge (Fri until 8:30pm)
- 9pm-midnight: Anna Botting (Mon-Thurs)/Anna Jones (Fri)
- Overnights: Principally Kimberley Leonard, but also various others.

So what happens after 8pm on Thursday and 8.30pm on Friday? Anna Botting starts an hour early on the first and Anna Jones half an hour early on Friday?
London Lite10,264 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London

- 7-9pm: Sky News Tonight with Dermot Murnaghan (Mon-Weds; Thurs until 8pm)/Sophy Ridge (Fri until 8:30pm)
- 9pm-midnight: Anna Botting (Mon-Thurs)/Anna Jones (Fri)
- Overnights: Principally Kimberley Leonard, but also various others.

So what happens after 8pm on Thursday and 8.30pm on Friday? Anna Botting starts an hour early on the first and Anna Jones half an hour early on Friday?

No mention of The Pledge, but I suspect that will fill the 2000 slot or one-off documentaries or specials.
Skygeek889 posts since 5 Feb 2014

OK then, make the explicit case for me as to why it's your right to know whether my colleague is pregnant and how Sky might plan to cover her absence...

What certain people around here don't seem to understand (and what the site's rules commendably seek to quash) is that if a piece of information isn't immediately forthcoming, it isn't always appropriate to speculate. There are some members who feel they MUST know every last detail, even where it might (directly or indirectly) intersect with a presenter's personal life.

Considering you've already been given chapter-and-verse in a manner that should satisfy any self-respecting pres fan, that's frankly downright creepy!

In answer, however, to the other, far-more-reasonable question... the disparities in SNT running lengths are because we still have Pledge on Thursdays at 8pm and Week In Review on Fridays at 8:30pm.

I've also been in and made some tweaks to my original post because the press release didn't make it clear that Niall Paterson and/or Gillian Joseph will be doing the Brazier/Secker slot on Fridays. Jayne will, of course, continue presenting Week In Review.
Last edited by Skygeek on 21 September 2016 1:11am
SomeRandomStuff, Brekkie and 3 others
  • AJ
  • Ratflump
  • rob
gave kudos
picard421 posts since 2 Jun 2016
News channels constantly speculate about people being pregnant, celebs etc, presenters are in the public eye and people will be curious. Nothing wrong with that, unless it's a stalker or something, obviously.

I don't really get the 10am Brexit show either. We have not even started leaving yet, what will be discussed that has not already been covered.
Connews843 posts since 29 Oct 2006

I don't really get the 10am Brexit show either. We have not even started leaving yet, what will be discussed that has not already been covered.

There is plenty to discuss. When exactly are we going to leave? What's happening with the negotiations? What is the impact of the Brexit vote, regardless of whether Article 50 has been invoked? What have been the ramifications for the European Union? What has been the political fallout here? All of this and the many unprecedented dilemmas that the Out vote will bring - such as parliamentary votes on Article 50 and the fact Scotland and N Ireland voted In by the majority. Some days will be busier than others, but I think that there is immense value in having a daily hour devoted to the topic. Delving deeper into a topic always reveals more issues that need to be examined.

Brexit means Brexit - but as the Maltese prime minister told Sky News, few actually do know what Brexit means - and how the UK is going to go about it.
Skygeek889 posts since 5 Feb 2014
News channels constantly speculate about people being pregnant, celebs etc, presenters are in the public eye and people will be curious. Nothing wrong with that, unless it's a stalker or something, obviously.

I just thought this place had higher standards than that, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm glad you think it's your business. She's my colleague, though, and I don't think it's mine - not even the arrangements there might be for her putative maternity cover, but you just go ahead and enjoy what you THINK it feels like to be an insider and have all the juicy goss, and the rest of us will maintain a modicum of decency.
Last edited by Skygeek on 21 September 2016 9:13am
SomeRandomStuff gave kudos
TV Dan

OK then, make the explicit case for me as to why it's your right to know whether my colleague is pregnant and how Sky might plan to cover her absence...

I don't have to make any case to you and to be fair to 'Live at five' - he didn't ask whether she was pregnant nor did he ask how they would cover her absence, he just made an observation.

Are you telling me that if Kate Middleton or another high profile figure was spotted with a bump, Sky News wouldn't take great delight in questioning whether she was pregnant Zipper
marshmallow and The SNT Three gave kudos