TV Home Forum

The Nightly Show

8 weeks trail with ITV temporarily moving the NAT (September 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
What is the point of ITV investing money in News at Ten, just to move it back to 22:30? There's no point! Kevin Lygo (for whatever reason) is trying to ruin the programme. Going by the reaction on Facebook/Twitter viewers don't want News at Ten to be moved. They really need to rethink this terrible decision!

Will this investment in the news no longer be made if they move it half an hour later?

I'm not sure it's that terrible a decision. The news on BBC1 at the same time beats them hands down in the ratings. Surely something has to give?
BA
Barney
ITV Needs to rejig it's schedule maybe news at ten axed and replaced with a new ITV News Tonight with Tom Bradby, that could rival BBC Newsnight, then this new show be along the lines of the Jonathan Ross show.
NI
Nicky
ITV Needs to rejig it's schedule maybe news at ten axed and replaced with a new ITV News Tonight with Tom Bradby, that could rival BBC Newsnight

Yes because that worked so well for them before

Rolling Eyes
BA
Barney
Nicky posted:
ITV Needs to rejig it's schedule maybe news at ten axed and replaced with a new ITV News Tonight with Tom Bradby, that could rival BBC Newsnight

Yes because that worked so well for them before

Rolling Eyes

That has never happened before, bearing mind Tom Bradby has only been anchor of news at ten for just under a year
WH
Whataday Founding member
ITV Needs to rejig it's schedule maybe news at ten axed and replaced with a new ITV News Tonight with Tom Bradby, that could rival BBC Newsnight, then this new show be along the lines of the Jonathan Ross show.

I've mentioned this in the news forum but I think they need to look elsewhere in the schedule, around 8pm. That way, they can start the evening with their gameshows and soaps, get the news out the way (and possibly act as a spoiler for BBC News at Ten) then get on with the rest of their schedule.
BR
Brekkie
According to this article, it's going to displace News at Ten for 8 weeks. So here we go again :

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/itv-unveils-plans-move-news-8837342

Note the only quote from ITV in that article is an absolute denial of any plans to move the news.

Any chat show would work much better post-news where it can pick up BBC News viewers as well. It has no chance at 10pm - would rate worse than News at Ten.

At most they might move the regional news so any new show starts at 10.30 but from an advertising point of view the more of it that airs after 11pm the better. There is little money to be made in the 10pm hour for ITV as they've generally used their 40 minutes of primetime by then.
SW
Steve Williams
Note the only quote from ITV in that article is an absolute denial of any plans to move the news.

Great article, that, I love when they ponder who might be on the "wish-list" of celebrity hosts and just name the first half dozen celebrities they can think of. Not even a wish list, a wish list for the wish list. Why stop at David Tennant and Olivia Colman? Why not wish for Barack Obama and The Queen while you're at it? Possibly pop stars and sports stars as well?!?! Mind blown!

"Chat show to have celebrity hosts - here are some celebrities we've thought of." Stop the presses!
NE
newsman1

I've mentioned this in the news forum but I think they need to look elsewhere in the schedule, around 8pm . That way, they can start the evening with their gameshows and soaps, get the news out the way (and possibly act as a spoiler for BBC News at Ten) then get on with the rest of their schedule.

Not gonna happen.

8 o'clock is only an hour after the end of the Evening News.
London Lite and bilky asko gave kudos
JA
JAS84
Yeah, only way that could happen is if it replaced the 6pm AND 10pm bulletins. Ofcom would never allow that.
bkman1990 and newsman1 gave kudos
JA
jake-watson
Move the news to 9.30 and end with the bongs, that was the news... At 10. gives them space either side to play with.
MS
Mr-Stabby
The thing is, James Corden's 'Late Late Show' is considered successful, but the actual viewership for the nightly show is quite low. He's considered popular because of his success on the Interweb. Does anyone remember Craig Ferguson hosting that exact show? No, probably not. He didn't embrace the internet.

I love the Johnny Carson late night formats, especially Craig Ferguson when he was on and Conan. But I don't think ITV will ever get what actually made these shows successful.
:-(
A former member
I remember Craigs show. James Cordens show goes out at 12.37 and is behide Stephen Colbert does anyone know him? his show goes out at 11.37 after the evening news which is at 11pm. ITV tried the late news at 11pm and that bomed, maybe if it had decent shows at 10pm or the chat show at 11.20 maybe it might have worked.

Newer posts