TV Home Forum

The Nightly Show

8 weeks trail with ITV temporarily moving the NAT (September 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Is it any wonder why TV is full of tired ancient programmes, fillers and nothing much new after 10:30 when you get a negative reaction like the one seen here. Like Sunday side up and Adrian Chiles's Sunday show, rather than watching something a bit iffy with good and bad bits people seem to prefer to watch nothing instead.

This forum gets more like Digital Spy by the day. Quips about Stephen Mulhern I expect from there.

Well, I liked Sunday Side Up for all its flaws. And I've liked Stephen Mulhern since watching him on CITV (although he's changed his style a bit since then). I'm just basing my opinion on the fact that a stripped late night talk show has not worked on UK TV previously.
FA
fanoftv
I'd argue that Rylan's short run of Up Late with Rylan earlier in the year worked well IMO but should be trailed with a longer run.
:-(
A former member
10.30 onwards can be a good if use correctly, STV has Scotland Tonight. ITV uses the slot for Current affairs but I agree it could do with some other stuff, but ITV2 now covers that department, and during the summer there even repeated a few ITV2 shows after the news at ten
LL
Larry the Loafer
I'd argue that Rylan's short run of Up Late with Rylan earlier in the year worked well IMO but should be trailed with a longer run.

Everything was in place for that to be a good show, but I think it was too plagued with the tacky Channel 5/MTV/Viacom feel to it all for its own good.
BR
Brekkie
They're doing exactly what I've been saying they should do for ages and hopefully it will work out and somewhat reinvigorate the post News at Ten schedule, and possibly help News at Ten too if it is successful.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
According to this article, it's going to displace News at Ten for 8 weeks. So here we go again :

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/itv-unveils-plans-move-news-8837342
JB
JasonB
According to this article, it's going to displace News at Ten for 8 weeks. So here we go again :

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/itv-unveils-plans-move-news-8837342

The return of the "News at When" era. That will really screw the rota fanboys up!
SE
Square Eyes Founding member

Is it any wonder why TV is full of tired ancient programmes, fillers and nothing much new after 10:30 when you get a negative reaction like the one seen here. Like Sunday side up and Adrian Chiles's Sunday show, rather than watching something a bit iffy with good and bad bits people seem to prefer to watch nothing instead.

It's hardly the audience to blame, it's ITV's short-termism at fault here. For them everything has to be an instant hit, nothing is given time to grow or develop. If you schedule new programmes in parts of the schedule that you've neglected for years (Sunday morning / Sunday late, weeknights after 10.30pm) you can't expect the viewers to come instantly flocking. They just don't have the time, money or inclination for the long game or for shows to find an audience.
:-(
A former member
On bbc online it makes clear it may or may not move the news. So if enough of a stink happens the chat show will be at 10.40
LF
LiamFJournalist
What is the point of ITV investing money in News at Ten, just to move it back to 22:30? There's no point! Kevin Lygo (for whatever reason) is trying to ruin the programme. Going by the reaction on Facebook/Twitter viewers don't want News at Ten to be moved. They really need to rethink this terrible decision!
LL
Larry the Loafer
Is it not out of the question to air this new show at 10:30pm? If Graham Norton can do it at 10:35...
SP
Spencer
Quote:
It is understood that the show will have revolving celebrity hosts.

Won't they get dizzy?

Newer posts