TV Home Forum

BBC loses Great British Bake Off

UPDATE: Mel and Sue quit as hosts (September 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WL
W1LL
It will go onto ITV and it will be presented by Phil and Holly or worse Ant and Dec.

Or worse... Stephen Mulhern.
orange, London Lite and harshy gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
I can imagine if it went to Sky, they'd have the creative freedom to continue to evolve the format, but would lose 95% of their audience.

An ITV move would ultimately see as mentioned Phil and Holly or Ant & Dec present which may put off some of Bake Off's older audience, but become more commercial.

Clearly the BBC didn't want to take it any more commercial than it is now and licence payers money shouldn't subsidise a production that clearly has those values.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Quote from the Beeb.

JA
james-2001
It will go onto ITV and it will be presented by Phil and Holly or worse Ant and Dec.

Keith Lemon
AN
Andrew Founding member
Moving to ITV wouldn't mean Ant and Dec hosting, that's silly talk. Mel and Sue are hardly BBC establishment and have worked on ITV before.
TM
TMD_24

Keith Lemon

Bake my sussage. Laughing
AA
Aaron_2015
It's a genius idea from ITV or Sky. The ratings will inevitably fall, but the BBC's biggest show will be gone.
SL
Shaun Linden
Quote from the Beeb.

They are essentially openly begging Love Productions to change their minds. Quite unprecedented.
JA
james-2001
Moving to ITV wouldn't mean Ant and Dec hosting, that's silly talk. Mel and Sue are hardly BBC establishment and have worked on ITV before.

Yes, their last show on there was a huge success Wink
HC
Hatton Cross
"The United Kingdom Baking Show Down..

..Wednesday nights at 8pm on BBC One"

Problem solved. Very Happy
JA
james-2001
It's one of those cases, they might make more money from the rights by selling a channel elsewhere, but the brand could likely became less valuable over time due to the decreased popularity and lsot prestige of no longer being on the BBC. So might not be a good thing for them in the long run.
BP
BudnP2013
Oh well. I think this is the end of an era for British TV. No, I'm being serious.

I think Top Gear will have to relaunch again next year.
Great British Bake Off leaves BBC and goes to ITV. Ratings inevitably drop as a few presenters leave.
X-Factor loses viewers.
Voice leaves BBC.
Several big names leave certain shows.
Doctor Who probably goes off for a few years and comes back (again).

Yeah. I know all of this probably won't happen. But, for TV historians, this era is probably wearing a bit thin.

Sorry for a bit of an overdramatic first post. Wink Razz

Newer posts