TV Home Forum

1996 Manchester Olympic Games Bid - IBC in Granada?

(September 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
I'm surprised Birmingham didn't get it:

SP
Steve in Pudsey
It seems that the IBC for the 2002 Commonwealth Games is/was part of the Manchester College of Arts and Technology
SW
Steve Williams
Granada were very involved in the bid IIRC, the cast of Corrie were used a lot in publicity at events and the results,

Yes, and Granada also showed the announcement in September 1993 live as well, opting out of Emmerdale.

I remember after they didn't get 1996, the main chairman of the bid doing a photo call where he scribbled out "1996" on the logo and scribbled "2000" on instead.
MA
Markymark
I'm not sure where the difficulty would be? Granada could have comfortably accommodated it in my opinion, between existing buildings and land on which to build temporary structures.

I'm not sure. I was involved with the build in Lillehammer for the 1994 Winter Olympics.
NRK/EBU built a large building for the IBC. The space that CBS took for their operation was larger than anything that could have been easily accommodated at Quay Street, never mind all the other world broadcasters.

The area of the building that housed NRK's domestic pres, was more or a less a permanent facility that after the games became the regional studio for that area, (about the same level of facility as BBC English region). Everything else was stripped out, and I think the building became a college/Uni.
IT
IndigoTucker
Granada Studio tours was in full swing back then, so there would be little space for a broadcast centre at Quay Street. There could have been plenty of space in the film warehouses, Bonded Warehouse and in the cobbled backlot without the tour running though..
Last edited by IndigoTucker on 6 September 2016 6:13pm
WH
Whataday Founding member
There was still plenty of space even despite Granada Studios Tours. (Always thought they missed a trick not calling that Granadaland by the way - it was certainly more than just a tour).
EL
elmarko
Agreed, that would have been the perfect name.

Thanks for the input guys, space was the main reason I brought it up. Along with Granada having to actually still be an ITV region as well.
NB
nbafan89
this video here contains a manchester olympic bid ident for those who are interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKMhc3OsOVs
NW
nwtv2003
Granada Studio tours was in full swing back then, so there would be little space for a broadcast centre at Quay Street. There could have been plenty of space in the film warehouses, Bonded Warehouse and in the cobbled backlot without the tour running though..

They made extra room when Granada Sky arrived, Good Life, TalkTV and Men & Motors content came mostly from Manchester, from memory they built an extra studio in one of the garden areas for Good Life, not sure if it's still there. GSkyB were in an old building on Quay Street facing the main entrance to the studios. It used to have a car park at the front however has since been built over and occupied by an insurance firm.
WH
Whataday Founding member

They made extra room when Granada Sky arrived, Good Life, TalkTV and Men & Motors content came mostly from Manchester, from memory they built an extra studio in one of the garden areas for Good Life, not sure if it's still there. GSkyB were in an old building on Quay Street facing the main entrance to the studios. It used to have a car park at the front however has since been built over and occupied by an insurance firm.

Granada owned a lot of land outside of the main complex in those days, including a huge expanse opposite on Water Street which included the V&A Hotel.
BR
Brekkie
Exactly - it's not as if had they won the bid Granada would have done nothing and just opened the doors to their existing studios a couple of weeks beforehand and squeezed everyone in. A significant upgrade would have had to have taken place - and it may have even been away from the Granada studio sites (bid plans change more often than not when it becomes reality).

It is worth remembering to in those days there was no OBS but a local host broadcaster set up which Granada may have played a significant part in, especially for the 1996 games as they were still an Olympic broadcaster in the early days of the bidding process.
MF
MatthewFirth
If Granada was to house the broadcasters, would ITV have to be host broadcaster and British TV rights holder instead of the BBC?

Newer posts