Media Websites

BBC.co.uk - site cutbacks & beyond

Split from bbc.co.uk (May 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Josh
Wasn't sure where to pop this, but was looking on Logopedia this morning when I saw an odd looking BBC News logo that had allegedly been in use since last year:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/logos2/images/9/92/Bbc_news_logo_2016.png/revision/latest?cb=20150322100649

...and a comment next to the photo that it was from part of a wider BBC rebrand. Shocked that I could have missed a thing, I popped over to the BBC One Logopedia page to read this delight from everyone's favourite Callum Precious:

Quote:
Following the UK voted for out of the European Union, Callum Precious reveals the new BBC One logo in the wake of the defeat of the Vote Remain campaign and also announced that he was working on the new look in which is due later this year or next year.

He said: I am very unconcerned about the UK leaving the European Union earlier this morning, so i want to make a plans by creating a new look BBC One. There will be the return of the Balloon, one of the best-loved channel idents, originally aired from 1997-2002. Although there'll be a new pres (including the 1997-style endboards) and a new logo, in which may cheaper than the 2006 look and like other of the retro idents. The new look BBC One may due course if films to be on the Wednesdays, unless EastEnders to be expanded to 5 days a week. Andrew Bass may be right about the Balloon to return but i can say is YES. The new look may due either later this year or next year.[1]

The logo is similar to the original 1997 logo.

EDIT: Think I've accidentally stumbled on some fake version of Logopedia - it's Logopedia 2 rather than the original.

They're even saying that CBBC/CBeebies launched in 2000, they're gonna use the 1988 logo next year, that there's a BBC 5 and this monstrosity of logo would be for CBBC! *shudders*
Last edited by Josh on 9 August 2016 9:51pm
JA
JAS84
Josh, I think you forgot to quote a post - the last four comments before yours were talking about something else.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Wales and NI aren't uploading their lunchtime bulletins yet, so the expiry time remains as it was before.

21 days later

CR
Critique
Something that has became increasingly apparent and increasingly annoying in recent months is the reluctance to upload proper news reports to the BBC News website - the top stories section of the video player used to all be reports or snippets of interviews from the NC or World, but now they're pretty much all the videos designed for Facebook and the like, with background music, big text filling the screen and the occasional snippet of an interview or something from a report - IMO it almost trivialises some stories (something perhaps the BBC has acknowledged in how they've just posted the proper Nick Higham report about Gene Wilder's death rather than have 'Willy Wonka star dies' appear in massive Helvetica whilst the Oompla-Loompa song plays in the background), and the social media videos are always much less informative than a 2 minute VT. Meanwhile, lots of the regions are doing their own thing, and uploading more full news packages than ever before online, but onto Facebook rather than the main website.
bilky asko and Warbler gave kudos
EL
elmarko
Glad I'm not the only one that hates that.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Facebook is the new 60 seconds I guess.
LO
Londoner
It's the same for all channels and regions - rather than pissing about with new formats, just make your core journalism easy to watch and share. It
CR
Critique
On the BBC News website today, a video about the football transfer window. The description of the video?

'Premier League clubs in England have spent more than £1bn on summer football transfers. Pretty sure I could have found a better way to spend that.'

Who could have? The description makes no sense, unless the BBC News website has been personified and is now giving its own views.
CR
Critique
How long have the iPlayer live streams had subtitles on them? Switched them on earlier and then realised about ten minutes in it's not something I've been able to do before!
DV
DVB Cornwall
Some interesting iPlayer changes announced / coming

Live Restart on mobile, Live events, HD by default and visual seeking

see here ……..

BLOGS on BBC.CO.UK
08-Sep-2016 @ 23:32
bilky asko, London Lite and dbl gave kudos

19 days later

DO
dosxuk
IPlayer to require login from 2017

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37477229

Apparently not for licence enforcement, despite postcodes now becoming required profile information, but to enable better personalisation.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
IPlayer to require login from 2017

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37477229

Apparently not for licence enforcement, despite postcodes now becoming required profile information, but to enable better personalisation.

Worth noting the article then says...
Quote:
TV Licensing will have access to the information but the BBC says it will not be used for enforcement purposes.

...and in the analysis...
Quote:
The BBC says the information won't be used for enforcement - but adds it may be in the future.

It certainly sounds like they're phasing in the ability to enforce the need to have a TV licence in order to watch iPlayer content. The post code could easily be faked, so I'm not sure how useful it'll be in restricting access to UK households. I suspect the only realistic way to enforce would be if you were also required to enter a TV licence registration number.

Newer posts