Mass Media & Technology

Virgin Media reveals it's "V6" UHD set top box

(August 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
Anyone who has beta tested tech will know that you're there to help iron out bugs, but even they can't iron out everything until it goes into general consumer use.
RE
Rex
I don't think designing something to compliment the Xbox One is a good idea, considering it was widely panned for the way it looked.

Yeah, but they can't change the way the Xbox looks… that's the style now and it fits in

They just have with the Xbox One S Wink

Both MS and Sony have swapped sides in regards to console design with slim models. The Xbox One S is an improvement over the original X1, while the leaked PS4 slim had absolutely no thought put into its design at all. The closest the PS4 slim is to any other audiovisual equipment would be SkyQ, but even then it's still cheap.
VM
VMPhil
How do you know that it's even the final design?
LL
Larry the Loafer
How do you know that it's even the final design?

If you're talking about the new PS4, Eurogamer got hold of the system after it was put up on Gumtree and confirmed it was a working system. Still nothing to say it wasn't a prototype, I guess.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I've just found out there's releasing another Super Hub, but it's looks strikingly similar to the new STB, albeit in white.

GM
Gary McEwan
I've just found out there's releasing another Super Hub, but it's looks strikingly similar to the new STB, albeit in white.

Virgin gave me this last week after my SuperHub 2ac died. The difference with this one is that the 2.4G and 5G networks are combined so you don't need to select either the 2.4G or 5G network from the network list like you have to do with the 2ac.
NG
noggin Founding member

Virgin gave me this last week after my SuperHub 2ac died. The difference with this one is that the 2.4G and 5G networks are combined so you don't need to select either the 2.4G or 5G network from the network list like you have to do with the 2ac.

That's not always a good thing. Sometimes you want to force a device onto 5GHz to ensure it is free from interference. AIUI some ac devices these days use both bands simultaneously to generate higher throughput, and I guess you forego this if the 2.4 and 5GHz bands have different SSIDs.

(There was a long running saga with Macbook Pros and 5GHz WiFi that caused them to fall over - having dual SSIDs made life a lot easier in diagonising that was causing the issue)
LL
London Lite Founding member
I had to use two SSID's so that the Fire Stick would receive the 5GHz signal from a TalkTalk 'Super' Router, in the end, I used 2.4GHz only.
NG
noggin Founding member
2.4GHz in my bit of London is close to unusable for anything serious. 5GHz a lot clearer and MUCH faster.
CR
Critique

(There was a long running saga with Macbook Pros and 5GHz WiFi that caused them to fall over - having dual SSIDs made life a lot easier in diagonising that was causing the issue)

Interesting that you say that, as last Christmas when staying with my parents I did notice that my Macbook and the Virgin hub were not co-operating to the point the internet connection was unusable for no reason, but this was the model with the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals. I can't for the life of me remember what fixed it, but it certainly doesn't happen anymore - I Googled it at the time though and there were loads of complaints about it, but I can't remember seeing a solution.
NG
noggin Founding member

Interesting that you say that, as last Christmas when staying with my parents I did notice that my Macbook and the Virgin hub were not co-operating to the point the internet connection was unusable for no reason, but this was the model with the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals. I can't for the life of me remember what fixed it, but it certainly doesn't happen anymore - I Googled it at the time though and there were loads of complaints about it, but I can't remember seeing a solution.

There was a firmware and/or OS system update on Macbooks that cured it ISTR - but the interim fix was either to switch to the 'other' band (usually 2.4GHz ISTR) or reboot the WiFi access point (in this case the SuperHub) and the Macbook.

Was very annoying...

10 days later

ME
meridiantvfan
This box gives FTA UHD, honest gov... I bought one for £69 last week...

http://www.sat-shop.co.uk/store/amiko-amiko-a3-combo-full-hd-digital-smart-set-top-box-receiver

Newer posts