The Newsroom

Franceinfo to launch on Friday

Split from International News Presentation: Past and Present (August 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update
This is what the soon-to-launch Franceinfo will look like; the caps are from test broadcasts:

http://blog.lenodal.com/index.php?/archives/0360-Un-premier-apercu-de-lhabillage-de-France-info-maj.html

http://blog.lenodal.com/uploads/actualitedelhabillage/2016/franceinfo-boucle2-240816.png
Lenodal.com

http://blog.lenodal.com/uploads/actualitedelhabillage/2016/franceinfo-hab-2408-f.png
Lenodal.com

http://blog.lenodal.com/uploads/actualitedelhabillage/2016/franceinfo-hab-2408-c.png
Lenodal.com
Mike516, London Lite and aconnell gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
More from Franceinfo as shown on France 2.

Mouseboy33, Rkolsen and WW Update gave kudos
LL
More information on Franceinfo.

Franceinfo is a multi-media platform which is a collaboration between France Télévisions, Radio France, France 24 and INA.

The channel is live from 0600-0000 CET with France 24 (Francais) simulcasting their output overnight.

France TV Info, the news website has already rebranded, the name will be used for news bulletins across Radio France tomorrow with the news channel launching as mentioned on Thursday.

http://www.francetvinfo.fr/economie/medias/des-demain-votre-application-change-francetv-info-devient-franceinfo_1669505.html
NW
nwtv2003
Makes you wonder how the market in France has demand for several France based News channels. Yet the UK struggled with three.

I know we have access to lots of news channels, but only Sky and the BBC are domestic and targeted for the UK.
London Lite and WW Update gave kudos
WW
WW Update
The clip feels a bit CityTV, doesn't it?
LL
Makes you wonder how the market in France has demand for several France based News channels. Yet the UK struggled with three.

I know we have access to lots of news channels, but only Sky and the BBC are domestic and targeted for the UK.

I wonder if it's to have the politicians on-side, similar to how Global Radio subsidise LBC Radio as it attracts those type of people in the building? Bar Franceinfo, the three main domestic news channels are from private companies.

I'm surprised it's taken this long for France's PSB's to come together for a rolling news channel, however, when News 24 launched, Sky News had the monopoly and seemed invincible, but that's all changed now.

Going by the video, the open plan studio/newsroom at least makes them unique from the desk bound bulletins. However I wonder how long it'll last before either France 2 or 3 provide some of the studio based output?

We may also have the silly situation where during a breaking news story, we could have France 2 and Franceinfo providing different bulletins.
NY
NYTV

I wonder if it's to have the politicians on-side, similar to how Global Radio subsidise LBC Radio as it attracts those type of people in the building? Bar Franceinfo, the three main domestic news channels are from private companies.

I'm surprised it's taken this long for France's PSB's to come together for a rolling news channel, however, when News 24 launched, Sky News had the monopoly and seemed invincible, but that's all changed now.

Going by the video, the open plan studio/newsroom at least makes them unique from the desk bound bulletins. However I wonder how long it'll last before either France 2 or 3 provide some of the studio based output?

We may also have the silly situation where during a breaking news story, we could have France 2 and Franceinfo providing different bulletins.

This is actually France Télévisions's 2nd run at operating a rolling news channel. The first one is a little-known channel they co-owned with TF1, France 24
LL
NYTV posted:

This is actually France Télévisions's 2nd run at operating a rolling news channel. The first one is a little-known channel they co-owned with TF1, France 24

Hardly counts when France 24 is targeted at international audiences and didn't even have much of any terrestrial coverage before switchover. The BBC had BBC World before launching their domestic news channel which like France left rolling news to the commercial sector for years.
RE
Rex

There was a market for three news channels, but the failure of the ITV News Channel stems from ITV themselves - underfunded (especially after the ITV3 launch), and Freeview bandwidth problems caused low ratings against News 24 and Sky News (Freeview was the most popular platform for the NC).
Mulitichannel expansion and limited bandwidth on Freeview eventually killed it off.
LL
News channels are an expensive operation. Sky News can absorb their losses thanks to the revenue from Sky's subscription channels, while the NC will undertake cuts and recently survived a planned merger with BBC World News.

Obviously the market is different in France with BFMTV enjoying a share that Sky and the NC would dream of, I>TELE is stable, but I'm sure Canal+ with their relaunch of the channel will want to raise their game, but LCI, which recently went FTA hasn't made any gains. Will be interesting to see if Franceinfo can make an impact, but it may be too late with so many competitors. News 24 only had Sky as competition for the domestic market in the UK when they launched and had seen off the ITN/ITV News Channel.
MA
mark Founding member
Franceinfo looks to have a more dynamic style of presentation than the other French news channels, which are firmly desk-based.

The shots in the preview actually remind me very slightly of the original Live TV from Canary Wharf.
LL
Franceinfo is already streaming live on YouTube with a loop at 720p.

Newer posts