« Topics
Fluffy Bunny Feet383 posts since 11 Mar 2003
[quote="Inspector Sands" pid="1022708"]The fact is that almost certainly no-one there noticed or if they did, didn't care. As long as they had some BBC news type music to finish the bulletin that's all that mattered.

I know people here like to obsess over different versions of title music, whether logos appear in rectangles and subtle changes to the shape of a 2 etc. But most people who work on TV, especially in news really don't care or notice such things[ /quote]

Excuse me we do notice and care about such things, and so do the viewers if it's a real calamity.
There could be a stack of reasons why the bully was not as normal.
Agreed it looked different to usual but the important thing is that it was "clean".
I've worked on plenty of programmes with technical issues but the viewer would never know - granted we don't want it every day but its also reassuring we can produce clean programmes.
Inspector Sands13,667 posts since 25 Aug 2004
Exactly, the bulletin was clean and that's all that those working on it will care about. They won't be sitting there fretting because they've one version of the news theme music and not another. Whoever's on sound just cued up the clip labelled 'end sting' because that's what the needed

Of course viewers will notice and care if it's a disaster of a bulletin, but not because of a subtle athestic difference like a slightly different version of the theme tune
mannewskev gave kudos
i-lied557 posts since 22 Oct 2012
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Exactly, the bulletin was clean and that's all that those working on it will care about. They won't be sitting there fretting because they've one version of the news theme music and not another. Whoever's on sound just cued up the clip labelled 'end sting' because that's what the needed

Of course viewers will notice and care if it's a disaster of a bulletin, but not because of a subtle athestic difference like a slightly different version of the theme tune

Some people are built to detect subtle changes in things so some viewers and potentially some staff picked up on it. It's possible that as it seems the bulletin was last minute, someone could simply have pressed the wrong button on the mixer and put that out instead of a 'generic' theme. It's easy to do, I'm not an expert but I have had experience of that kind of thing. I'm not saying that is what it is but is merely a possibility.

Theme music aside, I think it's useful having a network bulletin from Salford. It's possible that Salford could be used as a News Channel backup, as I have said on here before, without having to use Millbank. If there is a way in Salford to get things on air without the need for a gallery in London then it could be a valuable tool in case of a major issue in NBH and give them a viable full studio alternative to Millbank. As the sport presenters are present and have doubled up in the past as newsreaders, they could run the channel for a bit at least. It's certainly a good experiment which seems to have worked.
Andrew13,610 posts since 27 Mar 2001
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I'm not sure "viewers won't notice" is a valid remark and it almost a discounts the majority of discussions on this forum.

They could run any theme music from the last 17 years at random and put captions up in typed in times new roman and I doubt viewers would notice.

Nobody is having a go at the BBC in any sort of strong terms, so I don't know why there is a need to be so defensive.
Jory gave kudos
Inspector Sands13,667 posts since 25 Aug 2004

Some people are built to detect subtle changes in things so some viewers and potentially some staff picked up on it.

Maybe they did, but most wouldn't think twice about it because it's not need issue
Quote:
as I have said on here before, without having to use Millbank. If there is a way in Salford to get things on air without the need for a gallery in London then it could be a valuable tool in case of a major issue in NBH and give them a viable full studio alternative to Millbank. As the sport presenters are present and have doubled up in the past as newsreaders, they could run the channel for a bit at least. It's certainly a good experiment which seems to have worked.

Of course there is a way to put a studio in Salford to air without a news gallery in London being involved, it's how Breakfast, Newsround, CBBC and most sport gets on air.

I'm fairly certain that they have considered the possibilities of using Salford as a backup, but news programmes from there rely on facilities in London quite a bit. They aren't self contained
Fluffy Bunny Feet383 posts since 11 Mar 2003
I'm not sure "viewers won't notice" is a valid remark and it almost a discounts the majority of discussions on this forum.

They could run any theme music from the last 17 years at random and put captions up in typed in times new roman and I doubt viewers would notice.

Nobody is having a go at the BBC in any sort of strong terms, so I don't know why there is a need to be so defensive.

You've just contradicted yourself there.
Look, a couple of us have pointed out there could be unexpected technical reasons why the programme was different. Providing it was clean to air and the editorial team where happy that is all that matters.
It has nothing to do with being defensive, I've worked on live programmes falling apart but the viewer would never have known because of the technical support at hand to sort it out.
i-lied gave kudos
Steve in Pudsey10,062 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I think a bulletin that had a very different look to normal is worthy of discussion on a site like this - this is a presentation site and the presentation of that bulletin was very different to the norm.

Most viewers wouldn't notice a lot of the things that get discussed in detail here
Write that down in your copybook now.
i-lied and bilky asko gave kudos
No further posts are being accepted for this topic