The Gallery

Sky

Disclaimer: This may get imaginary (August 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Hi,

For the past couple of weeks I've thought about how I would like to see Sky.
While the majority is how it is now, I think some areas could be improved.

Note 1) This is mainly recreations, changes are more in the format (which is why I said it could get imaginary)
Note 2) The animated logos are a placeholder for the current glossy logos.

At the moment I am presenting you with Sky News and Sky Sports News HQ, some Sky1 stuff and channel logos. The main difference of all of this is that I have tried to adapt the Sky News graphics to SSNHQ

Sky News:

Sky Sports News HQ:

Sky1 Trailer:

Sky1 ECP:

Logos:
https://up.metropol247.co.uk/PATV%20Scunthorpe/Logoboard%204.png

As you may be able to see I have brought back Sky3, This is because I still think that Pick/Sky3 should go back to being a channel that promotes Sky as a whole and the programmes that you can only get with a paid subscription, I feel that 'Pick' disconnects itself (yes 'Pick' makes sense with the current format). What I would do with Sky3 is (this is where it gets imaginary) with a highly anticipated series, whether it be on 1, Living or Atlantic, the first episode would be shown on Sky3, then at the end of the programme states that the programme continues on the paid channel, this way it gets possible viewers interested.

I would also bring back the Free Weekend Pass, for the obvious reason that it showcases all of the programming that Sky has to offer. (Again during credits the channel would be mentioned along with channel numbers (and possibly whether it appears on Now TV)).
CH
channelsurfer
All in all I think this is a good mock.

Having worked on something similar I can appreciate the work that went into each of the individual logos. However I think the Sky logo is too large in the logos and in the Sky 1 logo the '1' doesn't look centred. If your software is saying that the 1 is in the middle, take some time to fiddle and make it optically centred.

Glossy animation looks odd on long logos, as evidenced with Sky Sports News HQ (terrible name) and also moves too quickly in my opinion. I don't really know what you mean by "animations are placeholders for glossy logos", I'd like that clarified please

Not sure why the gloss on the Cinema Disney logo fades away, looks odd.

I like the colour schemes for the channels. Not sure on the name "Sky Challenge".

Don't really have much to say about the Sky News work and it works well for SSNHQ as well.

All in all a respectable attempt and effort has been put into it. I don't care for people talking about format in mocks so I'll say no more about it, but I like the graphics, even if they are just recreations of what we already have on screen.
Last edited by channelsurfer on 23 August 2016 1:39pm
CR
Critique
I'm quite impressed by this - even if a large part of it is just recreations, they're good recreations and you've done pretty much every standard graphic Sky News will ever use, so no-one can say you weren't thorough enough! I've always thought that it might be nice if SSN was more similar in graphic style to Sky News, so nice to see what that would look like here. What are you using to create your graphics these days - with your Good Morning Britain mocks it was Keynote or something, wasn't it? But surely this is too complicated to simply be a Powerpoint presentation!
London Lite, PATV Scunthorpe and channelsurfer gave kudos
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
What are you using to create your graphics these days - with your Good Morning Britain mocks it was Keynote or something, wasn't it? But surely this is too complicated to simply be a Powerpoint presentation!

It's all PowerPoint but the videos are edited (as always) in Sony Movie Studio

Glossy animation looks odd on long logos, as evidenced with Sky Sports News HQ (terrible name) and also moves too quickly in my opinion. I don't really know what you mean by "animations are placeholders for glossy logos", I'd like that clarified please

"animations are placeholders for glossy logos" means where you see my animated logos is where the actual Sky rendered version would be used.
CH
channelsurfer
I definitely agree with Critique that the graphics for news are very well thought out and this is a very good example of how powerful PowerPoint can be in the right hands.
CR
Critique
Christ, it's genuinely Powerpoint! The number of animations and different objects in one of these presentations must be absolutely mad, not sure I'd ever want to see one at risk of it sending me mad! Congratulations on having the patience to be able to do it!
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Prepare to be sent mad then:

https://up.metropol247.co.uk/PATV%20Scunthorpe/Sky%20News.pptx
Last edited by PATV Scunthorpe on 2 September 2016 10:21pm - 6 times in total
OR
orange
I don't know if it's my eyes or my brightness on my mac is being funny but the News and Sports logos in the videos look orange rather than red like in the picture. Really good work though!

16 days later

PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Some extra bits for both Sky News & SSNHQ that I forgot about:

DavidWhitfield, BBI45 and fanoftv gave kudos
DA
daybreakfan45
Exceptional work. Cannot fault the animations at all.

My only gripe is what others have mentioned; the news logo appears off colour/too bright.
MW
Mike W
T0M posted:
I don't know if it's my eyes or my brightness on my mac is being funny but the News and Sports logos in the videos look orange rather than red like in the picture. Really good work though!

The colours are off - It's all orange on my PC!

Good effort though, compared to your earlier work!
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
T0M posted:

The colours are off - It's all orange on my PC!

Good effort though, compared to your earlier work!

I personally do not see what you are seeing, the only time I can see it be slightly orange are on the thumbnails as they are brighter than the videos for some reason.

But overall I'm happy that I've actually provided a mock that people like for once.

Newer posts