TV Home Forum

Test idents for the ITV 1989

(August 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
Surely a mock, I remember the 1989 ident with 'London Weekend Television' underneath the ITV logo.
:-(
A former member
What a bunch of cynical people. Its made very clear it was a test idea... Hence why it was never used...
LL
Larry the Loafer
Assuming this was real - and as I wonder whether or not I can ask this without a bunch of people on Twitter getting their knickers in a twist - even if this was only a test, why would they title it "London Weekend"? It was a long time after they changed to LWT. The final version featured "London Weekend Television" but if it was to save time, why not just label it "LWT"?
bilky asko and London Lite gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Because it was a proof of concept mock up?
LL
Larry the Loafer
My point is, if they wanted to make it look authentic, they'd use the full name "London Weekend Television". If it was a quick test ident and they wanted to save time, they'd use "LWT".
:-(
A former member
Yet the company was called London Weekend until 1978...
LL
Larry the Loafer
Yet the company was called London Weekend until 1978...

Yes... And that ident was made around 1989, long after they dropped the name "London Weekend".
WH
Whataday Founding member
I know this is a mock for a very clear reason.

All the way through the development process, the idents were designed to have the announcer talk over the start of the ident, while the regional logo was still on screen, and then the ITV logo would form up at the end.

For technical/practical reasons, many stations ran the ident so that the ITV logo would form up before the announcement, in the style of the mock featured here. Had they been used properly, the package may have been more successful as the regional brand would have been on screen for far longer.

Also, it's no coincidence that this "test ident" is for LWT. The positioning and size of the logo in the LWT blinds ident is perfect to morph into the ITV ident. Try doing it with any other regional ITV ident of the time and see if it would have matched as neatly.
bilky asko and Colemans1 gave kudos
BE
Ben Founding member
The music is however a different track to any I've heard elsewhere and does sound a bit embryonic...
WH
Whataday Founding member
I wouldn't say embryonic - it seems to have had something added to it.
SC
Si-Co
The way the T and V come in is very abrupt.

Like this?

LL
Larry the Loafer
At least in that ident, the letters and the V appear in time with the drum beats courtesy of the light streaks. In the "test ident" they just seem to appear when they want to with no rhythm and without any apparent cue.

Newer posts