TV Home Forum

UTV sell TV business to ITV

Rebrand from Oct 17th - please use new thread. (August 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KE
kernow
Technically BBC 3 used in vision continuity with the 60 seconds presenter introducing the next programme.

They also had proper in vision continuty following the rebrand in 2008:

GO
gottago
Technically BBC 3 used in vision continuity with the 60 seconds presenter introducing the next programme.

They also had proper in vision continuty following the rebrand in 2008:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uhwQTEtasA

Bloody awful it was too. Strange to think that ITV2 once, briefly, had IVC as well.
VM
VMPhil
The BBC Three in vision continuity was mostly stuff that would come under the oh-so-2008 phrase of "User Generated Content". People would submit their own videos, sometimes comic skits, to introduce a programme. Didn't last very long I don't think, but they at least tried to do something different with the idea.

The channel that really took "User Generated Content" seriously from this time though was Current TV - the channel was based around it, but inevitably the stuff that Current made themselves in the US was tons better, like the ever brilliant and much missed infoMania.
GO
gottago
The BBC Three in vision continuity was mostly stuff that would come under the oh-so-2008 phrase of "User Generated Content". People would submit their own videos, sometimes comic skits, to introduce a programme. Didn't last very long I don't think, but they at least tried to do something different with the idea.

Oh god I'd wiped those from my mind. Those videos were unthinkable awful. Truly unfit for broadcast. Thankfully the UGC era died almost as quickly as it started.
VM
VMPhil
Yeah, the BBC went all in on it around that time. I remember the BBC Two website homepage was basically a grid of user submitted videos at one point. (can't find this but the Internet Archive does have the send page which means the feature did exist and isn't a figment of my imagination)

There was a whole section dedicated to mocks, or 'Citizen' clips. http://web.archive.org/web/20110805042404/http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/citizen/
In fact, I see some of ashley b's ancient mocks in there!

A couple of years earlier there was that CBBC weekday breakfast show, Level Up, the main feature of which was kids Skyping in. There was this whole Flash based site for it, with a points system and everything.

BBC Three also had that Lily Allen chat show which had internet celebrities of the era Skyping in too, like charlieissocoollike and Tay Zonday.

Was this really eight years ago? Gosh.
DB
dbl

Was this really eight years ago? Gosh.

That is scary! Felt like that happened a few years ago.
DE
denton
Steering the thread back towards Northern Ireland... BBC Choice NI of course had IVC. The one on the right is Kathy Clugston, from Radio 4.
RI
Richard
Steering the thread back towards Northern Ireland... BBC Choice NI of course had IVC. The one on the right is Kathy Clugston, from Radio 4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d3maJ4f1EU

I really loved those days. The start of digital TV and the feeling that very few people were watching and they could try something new.

On the subject of UTV, what changes have there been so far on-screen? Obviously changes from u.tv to ITV.com but anything else so far?
NW
nwtv2003
On the subject of UTV, what changes have there been so far on-screen? Obviously changes from u.tv to ITV.com but anything else so far?

I try and look in from time to time and there's very little change. They seem to run more adverts for the ITV Hub, albeit with a giant Part of U logo plastered on screen.

I reckon they're saving the rest of the changes until the News services rebrands and the supposed new logo appears on screen.

I thought they would have gone down the Carlton/HTV route and pop an ITV logo onto the current ident set, but obviously not.
PF
PFML84
The only changes are that the web address that appears when they have their own menus on screen now has ITV.com at the bottom instead of u.tv and occasionally the CA will say ITV News and not news from ITN. Oh, and there are ads for programmes on ITV Hub now but there's still a UTV logo on it as well as the ITV logo.

Bring on the overhaul!
RI
Rijowhi
The only changes are that the web address that appears when they have their own menus on screen now has ITV.com at the bottom instead of u.tv and occasionally the CA will say ITV News and not news from ITN. Oh, and there are ads for programmes on ITV Hub now but there's still a UTV logo on it as well as the ITV logo.

Bring on the overhaul!

I'm just shocked UTV were still saying 'the news from ITN' instead of 'ITV News' after all these years!
RI
Richard

Bring on the overhaul!

I'm just shocked UTV were still saying 'the news from ITN' instead of 'ITV News' after all these years!

I think it was because they weren't keen on saying ITV. Obviously things are changing.

Newer posts