TV Home Forum

Olympics 2016

(April 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TI
tightrope78
I really wish they'd change how they rank the medal table. Even though we've done better than some teams above us, we rank lower because we haven't got as many golds. We have over twice as many medals as Hungary, even though they're currently 2 places above us, and more medals than Australia and South Korea (twice as many silvers as Oz, and 3 times as many as South Korea, and 2 more bronzes than SK) who are 4th and 5th. A 3-2-1 points system really is the best way to go.

?????

It's the internationally accepted ranking system, used by all the world (except for the USA).
JA
james-2001
Just because it's accepted doesn't mean it's the best system.
TI
tightrope78

"Experts! The British people are fed up with experts"
DV
DVB Cornwall
It's the most logical version, One champion is worth more than a hundred runners up and a runner up worth more than a hundred thirs places.
DA
davidhorman

I suspect that mathematically there is no objectively "best" way of ranking when there are multiple medals. How do you determine whether 50 bronze medals beats one gold?
DV
dvboy
BBC One cutting away from the hockey to go to the swimming- there was less than 3 minutes left, couldn't they have just held on till the end?

"Press the red button"- by the time you've pressed it, loaded the app and found the right stream, the match will be nearly finished...

Just dial in the channel numbers.
JK
JK08
The BBC stadium set has seen it's first showing today.

SP
Steve in Pudsey
How many different styles of desk are they going to use in one games?
TI
tightrope78
The stadium looks in poor condition, despite being renovated and extended. Why didn't they lay a track at the Maracana?
IS
Inspector Sands

It's the internationally accepted ranking system, used by all the world (except for the USA).

Not quite true, American TV uses it when it suits them!
bilky asko and tightrope78 gave kudos
JA
james-2001
I'd like to hope now athletics and track cycling are on, and the BBC are using the studios in those venues, we've seen the end of "wandering round the Olympic Park" presentation on BBC One primetime. Maybe that's wishful thinking though...
GE
Gareth E
The stadium looks in poor condition, despite being renovated and extended. Why didn't they lay a track at the Maracana?

Apart from the state of the stadium in general, I've always felt that a blue track is less aesthetically pleasing than the traditional red. In fact, I think this is the first ever Olympics which hasn't had a red athletics track.

Also - and I know there's no requirement for athletics to be held in the same stadium as the opening/closing ceremony - but it does seem rather strange that the Olympic Flame isn't in the athletics stadium.

Newer posts