TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2015 with 90s idents

NEW: Dragons Den ident with a nod to the past (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JF
JetixFann450

Now they're putting the 2 in a box!

It's been like that online for a long time.
BR
Brekkie
The difference between opening and closing graphic just sums up the mess BBC2 is in.
LO
looknorth
It seems strange that some of the idents network don't use but use the silent zone boards that go with them like Water, Steam and Neon, what's that about? Is there a chance these will be the next to join Silk?
Last edited by looknorth on 11 August 2016 4:33pm - 2 times in total
CA
Cavan
The 1979 '==2==' ident was used on BBC TWO NI last night before 'The 80s with Dominic Sandbrook'.

BH
BillyH Founding member
Quick question which seemed best asked here - was this the last appearance of the BBC2 clock? Found it as an old file on my hard drive, the date I think is July 9th 2001 judging by the brief news clip. Sorry about the quality but it was encoded on an old computer with limited capture facilities.

Were there any other times between then and the November rebrand when the news had to be shifted to 2?
CH
chris
I did laugh at 'The BBC online'. Sounds so quaint.

Looks as if that was when a Wimbledon Men's Final was on a weekday? I assume that's because the Sunday was rained off?
GE
thegeek Founding member
Not just the Sunday - according to the BBC online, the semi-final stretched from Friday to Sunday because of rain delays, making this the first final to begin on a Monday.

The final also got 75% viewing share, so not a lot of people will have seen that clock...
bilky asko and chris gave kudos
DP
D.Page
Duck, shown before 'The 80s with Dominic Sandbrook', at 9pm. Duncan Newmarch tries his hand at a 'Max Headroom' impersonation.

Larry the Loafer and jonO gave kudos
RI
Richard
Quick question which seemed best asked here - was this the last appearance of the BBC2 clock? Found it as an old file on my hard drive, the date I think is July 9th 2001 judging by the brief news clip. Sorry about the quality but it was encoded on an old computer with limited capture facilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsOLAVvgRkM

Were there any other times between then and the November rebrand when the news had to be shifted to 2?

The BBC 2 clock was also used at closedown, although closedown didn't happen every night due to learning zone etc.
JA
JAS84
Indeed, didn't a clock exist for the yellow look? They also made one for the BBC One dancers the following year, but it was never used.
NW
nwtv2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsOLAVvgRkM

The BBC 2 clock was also used at closedown, although closedown didn't happen every night due to learning zone etc.

Closedowns when permitted, usually on Friday and Saturday nights didn't have a clock towards the end, usually the closedown was nothing more than an ident with the announcer signing off. I can't say when they stopped using the clock at closedown, but it was sometime before the Yellow 2's were introduced in 2001.
Only when the News was moved to BBC TWO, as a result of Wimbledon they introduced it with a clock, hence the last known TX being July 2001.
BH
BillyH Founding member
The last clock appearance I can find on youtube before that one dates from early January 1999, so idents probably took over later that year - although, just to confuse things, there's a few 1998 closedowns that are clockless too so looks like it was already a rare occurence by then.

TV Ark have a BBC2 Wales clock from what I think is the same 2001 date as my video - it's dated 1997 on the website but the announcement suggests otherwise.

Newer posts