Mass Media & Technology

First 8K broadcast

First 8K TV broadcast (August 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
I agree, HDR and high frame rate are far more practical technologies in the normal home... At least you can see the difference in a domestic setting. 4 and 8k are impractical in a house

Though I almost wonder why they'd bother with HFR when they're so obsessed with sticking a low frame rate "film look" on everything these days.

Japan isn't... They still shoot HD drama at 60i there (though they do also use 'film effect') - and very few sports anywhere use 24-30p. One of the selling points of the latest Apple TV was MLB at 60p rather than 30p ISTR...
BA
bilky asko
I agree, HDR and high frame rate are far more practical technologies in the normal home... At least you can see the difference in a domestic setting. 4 and 8k are impractical in a house

Eh? Considering the size of TV that is becoming the norm in many people's homes, 4K will be very noticeably better. A lot of people say it looks more 3D than the 3D TVs because of the level of detail.

I own a mobile phone with a higher than HD resolution, I find it ridiculous that such increases in resolution wouldn't be useful for TVs.
Last edited by bilky asko on 11 August 2016 12:42pm
NG
noggin Founding member
UHD does need larger screensizes for most people with average eyes to see the benefit of it at usual domestic viewing distances.

We switched from a 40" HD display to a 50" UHD display and kept the same viewing distance, which is probably closer than usual. We didn't buy it because it was UHD, but because it was a better quality display than many HD displays we looked at (once we'd spent 30 minutes adjusting them all with the remotes, disabling all the horrific digital processing bobbins)

UHD 4K definitely offers benefits on the larger domestic displays 50-80" territory. UHD 8K really only offers benefits on larger screens - but is stunning when you see it. 8K at the cinema should be amazing. (4K is still a massive improvement over 2K)
JA
james-2001
Japan isn't... They still shoot HD drama at 60i there

We should take a leaf out of Japan's book!
NG
noggin Founding member
Japan isn't... They still shoot HD drama at 60i there

We should take a leaf out of Japan's book!

To be fair, it's a bit less common than it once was.

I remember being really surprised at seeing a Swedish costume drama, with great production values, shot 50Hz. It was one of SVT's first HD productions I think (c. 2006?) and had 'film type' lighting and grading, but 50Hz motion. Really nice - but a bit odd. A bit like watching movies with Natural Motion/Motion Flow switched in...
LL
Larry the Loafer
8K is pretty useless for consumer-level viewing. I remember HD becoming commonplace and it blew me away. Now, I'm watching 4K stuff on Netflix and I'm trying to work out if anything actually looks any sharper than 1080p. I'm agreeing with VMPhil though, HDR is a far more useful concept. Not to diminish what 8K can achieve, but if we're talking sitting round the telly in the living room, HDR is far more beneficial.
DA
davidhorman
Now, I'm watching 4K stuff on Netflix and I'm trying to work out if anything actually looks any sharper than 1080p.

Does it downgrade if the bandwidth isn't up to it, and does it give you an indication if it does so? Or maybe they're just compressing it too much to squeeze down the tubes.
NG
noggin Founding member
Now, I'm watching 4K stuff on Netflix and I'm trying to work out if anything actually looks any sharper than 1080p.

Does it downgrade if the bandwidth isn't up to it, and does it give you an indication if it does so? Or maybe they're just compressing it too much to squeeze down the tubes.

Whether you get an indication of received resolution depends on the platform. Our Sony UHD set with the integrated Netflix app displays it on the OSD (2160, 1080, 720, 480 etc.)

The Netflix UHD stuff is low-bitrate and has clear compression artefacts if you look closely. Miles away from the high bitrate stuff you get on UHD BLu-ray.
UKnews and bilky asko gave kudos

Newer posts