The Newsroom

Sky News: Presenters & Rotas

Chat about Sky News Presenters and Rotas Here (July 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
EM
EastMediaWatcher
Honestly if they are short of staff they can get rid of double headed, which I suspect might happen in the near future.
Last edited by EastMediaWatcher on 20 July 2016 8:50pm
DF
DrewF
I'd disagree - to me it just symbolises that there is a "lead" presenter of the programme, who is normally Colin Brazier. Jonathan Samuels is filling in for him so takes that same slot.

It seems odd to suggest getting rid of double headed presentation because they are "short staffed" - it's hardly unusual for another presenter or reporter to cover someone else when they are away and that's what's happened here. I think you're reading more into it than is there.
WO
Worzel
Good to see Jonathan Samuels behind a desk again. I remember when he presented Look East's Cambridge opt-out (known then as Close Up) back in the 90s.
SK
Skygeek
Surprised at that graphic, it suggests that Samuels is more senior than Secker with the larger font.

Honestly if they are short of staff they can get rid of double headed, which I suspect might happen in the near future.

What a load of laughable rubbish.

Jonathan's name just takes up more room, and to suggest that it's anything to do with his "seniority" enters into the realm of what I'd call "pres fetishism" - the practise of deriving what you want to out of pres elements to the exclusion of all reality just so you get to sound like an insider.

Seriously, do you think some people were sat in a room in Osterley at some point in the last 48 hours and said: "I know Jayne's a longstanding presenter, and Jonathan's only done a couple of overnight shifts in the chair up to now, but his seniority as a correspondent outranks hers as a presenter [which, by the way, it doesn't], so let's show the audience we know that by making his introductory name strap marginally larger than hers"?

I can assure you my colleagues have better things to do.
JD
JDN
^ To be fair even though I agree, you would back up your colleagues. No need to be so sharp because you have a difference in opinion.
PI
picard
Come back down to earth again guys, why the need to come down on someone like a ton of bricks for an off the cuff comment?

I can't see any difference the text size or boldness,
SK
Skygeek
JDN posted:
^ To be fair even though I agree, you would back up your colleagues. No need to be so sharp because you have a difference in opinion.

I'm sorry, but I disagree that my tone was too harsh on this one. It is the opposite of sensible to think that a difference in font size on straps - whether real or imagined (and as it happens, I think it's the latter) - was down to a specific decision, or indeed that such a granular decision would ever actually be made in any quasi-HR context, let alone TV. It's pure, pointless fantasy.
Last edited by Skygeek on 20 July 2016 4:27pm
Kevizz MS, rob and London Lite gave kudos
DV
dvboy
FWIW, the text is larger on Jonathan's name, intentional or not.

JD
JDN
^ I was just about to post that. Very Happy
SK
Skygeek
JDN posted:

Well, then clearly Jayne should be ultra-worried! Wink
JD
JDN
JDN posted:

Well, then clearly Jayne should be ultra-worried! Wink

I don't think it's Jane who should be worried.
VM
VMPhil
JDN posted:

It's not really a difference of opinion though is it - he works there so it's fair to say he knows quite a bit about what actually happens there

Newer posts