Media Websites

BBC.co.uk - site cutbacks & beyond

Split from bbc.co.uk (May 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
I do wonder whether the timing of these closures is slightly political. It's worth noting that the creative review states that it "sets out a route to a more focused and distinctive service". With the BBC being told by the government via the white paper to be more distinct I wonder if they're using BBC Online to illustrate what might happen to TV & Radio if force to make distinctive programming.

Personally I'll miss the travel section as I've always used it as my first call. I guess the BBC's argument is that this is already covered by the likes of the AA. I guess the food website was somewhat inevitable, though it's good to see they've now announced it'll migrate to the Good Food website.

With the local news site's it's a shame to see they plan to move to just a local live page. When they trialled it last year I didn't like the appearance of the pages, and was glad when they reverted back to the current look.

The closure of iWonder does seem slightly odd, as it was part of the new 'Knowledge & Learning' product. It'll be interesting to see whether articles move to the other existing Science & History sites, or whether these might also quietly close.

15 days later

SI
sigma421
I've been getting the BBC.com homepage all day (in the UK). Is anyone else seeing this?
LL
London Lite Founding member
I've been getting the BBC.com homepage all day (in the UK). Is anyone else seeing this?

Getting .co.uk using TalkTalk with Smarty DNS which reroutes the BBC site via their DNS servers.

30 days later

CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Probably done a while ago I see the bbc.co.uk/ww1 website now redirects to http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01nb93y.

13 days later

CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Just noticed that 4 weeks ago the last of the BBC's message boards finally closed. The Points of View boards are no more http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview/ though the links to it still remain elsewhere on the BBC website.
CR
Critique
Wasn't sure where to pop this, but was looking on Logopedia this morning when I saw an odd looking BBC News logo that had allegedly been in use since last year:

Fake logo removed because it was annoying my - Bail

...and a comment next to the photo that it was from part of a wider BBC rebrand. Shocked that I could have missed a thing, I popped over to the BBC One Logopedia page to read this delight from everyone's favourite Callum Precious:

Quote:
Following the UK voted for out of the European Union, Callum Precious reveals the new BBC One logo in the wake of the defeat of the Vote Remain campaign and also announced that he was working on the new look in which is due later this year or next year.

He said: I am very unconcerned about the UK leaving the European Union earlier this morning, so i want to make a plans by creating a new look BBC One. There will be the return of the Balloon, one of the best-loved channel idents, originally aired from 1997-2002. Although there'll be a new pres (including the 1997-style endboards) and a new logo, in which may cheaper than the 2006 look and like other of the retro idents. The new look BBC One may due course if films to be on the Wednesdays, unless EastEnders to be expanded to 5 days a week. Andrew Bass may be right about the Balloon to return but i can say is YES. The new look may due either later this year or next year.[1]

The logo is similar to the original 1997 logo.

EDIT: Think I've accidentally stumbled on some fake version of Logopedia - it's Logopedia 2 rather than the original.
HC
Hatton Cross
Never mind. Surprised the lack of creativity by plonking the BBC logo, next to a Sky News esque font didn't give the game away...

Still, console yourself with the thought that come the revolution, Precious and Williams will be first up against the wall.
PA
PATV Scunthorpe

EDIT: Think I've accidentally stumbled on some fake version of Logopedia - it's Logopedia 2 rather than the original.

I believe it is related this.

http://www.tvforum.co.uk/thegallery/bbc-rebranding-project-2015-40637/

22 days later

LL
Regional news lunchtime bulletins are now on iPlayer, however they expire at 10.45pm the same day.
CR
Critique
Regional news lunchtime bulletins are now on iPlayer, however they expire at 10.45pm the same day.

Is this because the late news is potentially a little bit shorter for the duration of the Olympics? The 10 ended at 10:20 tonight with the regional news plugging the gap until half past.
LL

Is this because the late news is potentially a little bit shorter for the duration of the Olympics? The 10 ended at 10:20 tonight with the regional news plugging the gap until half past.

Tonight's late news editions were 6.01 long. I suspect now all the regions stream live, it has made it easier for them to upload the lunchtime editions, even if it's for only a few hours. It has been long due.
LL
Other expiry changes for regional bulletins, the late now expires at 6.30pm and the main at 2pm the following day.

Newer posts