TV Home Forum

Sponsorship of TV programmes

(July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HA
harshy Founding member
Wasn't Brucies Play your Cards Right sponsored in the early 90s but Challenge managed to strip it out so there must be two versions, I suspect the world cup 98 titles from ITV as it was a unilateral feed it will have been baked into the titles, I suspect though these days they can play out sponsorship stings at transmission base rather then on the source itself?
NM
Neil Miles
The Chart Show was doing it from late 1991, with the Pepe Jeans logo integrated into the titles- and then they did the same with the Twix logo from 1993.

Any reference to the branding would have disappeared 15 seconds into the titles. Matching the sponsor message to the style of the titles was allowed, providing it was only the first 15 seconds. It wasn't until 1994 that fully integrated titles were allowed.

I make it exactly 15 seconds in this clip from 1992 (starts at 2:32)

JB
JasonB
Didn't the 2009 incarnation of the Krypton Factor have integrated sponsorship in the titles when Sage sponsored them?
JA
james-2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H86FZUjXw20

Interestingly that's one of the same episodes that was repeated on The Vault back in 2007!

The titles they introduced in 1994 had Twix logos through pretty much the whole title sequence, so I presume that would have been when they relaxed the rules.
Last edited by james-2001 on 15 July 2016 10:19am
IN
Interceptor
The third and fourth series' of Gamesmaster had (quite nicely) integrated sponsorship for McDonalds:

3:

4:
HC
Hatton Cross
Didn't the 2009 incarnation of the Krypton Factor have integrated sponsorship in the titles when Sage sponsored them?

Of sorts. The sponsor sting And titles we're in the same graphic design style, but the music altered after the 'sponsored by Sage' hold graphic before the Krypton Factor titles proper started.
The full sequence used to be on the Liquid tv graphics website.
TI
tightrope78
The first ever programme I remember being sponsored was ITV's coverage of the 1990 World Cup. Coverage was sponsored by 'National Power'. You see their logo at the very beginning in the ITV Sport ident.

LL
Larry the Loafer
The Chart Show was doing it from late 1991, with the Pepe Jeans logo integrated into the titles- and then they did the same with the Twix logo from 1993.

Any reference to the branding would have disappeared 15 seconds into the titles. Matching the sponsor message to the style of the titles was allowed, providing it was only the first 15 seconds. It wasn't until 1994 that fully integrated titles were allowed.

The integrated Twix sponsorships ran near enough up to the latter days of the show when Tizer took over. It was a bugger for The Vault to repeat the show because of them, so they had to rip pieces of the clean title sequence to replace the gaps left by the Twix references. It was a little easier when Tizer took over as they'd just "interrupt" the title sequence with their own sponsor video. The sponsorship was removed from the repeats but the "interference" that transitioned between the titles and the Tizer advert remained.

I think the final days of The Chart Show were unsponsored and Tizer went on to sponsor CD:UK.
JA
james-2001
Wasn't the Powergen sponsorship of the ITV weather the first ever UK TV sponsorship? And the longest running too, as it went on till around 2007 (after they'd become EON).
RD
rdd Founding member
I imagine that Ford's just ended sponsorship of Super Sunday has probably beaten it now, August 1992 to May 2016, just shy of 24 years.
WH
Whataday Founding member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H86FZUjXw20

Interestingly that's one of the same episodes that was repeated on The Vault back in 2007!

The titles they introduced in 1994 had Twix logos through pretty much the whole title sequence, so I presume that would have been when they relaxed the rules.

Yes, although an actual Twix bar was nowhere to be seen (although they would cleverly incorporate the logo onto flags and billboards that were pretty much the shape of the product anyway).
SC
Si-Co
Not a sponsor as such, but I've always been curious about the inclusion of the Midland Bank logo in the end titles of YTV's How We Used To Live back in 1984-85.

Right at the end of this clip, about 09:45, you can see the credit "Support materials compiled with the assistance of the Midland Bank" (or similar wording). Sometimes the logo was included as shown here, and sometimes the name of the bank was just typed in the same font as the credits, without their logo.

I assume YTV are acknowledging financial assistance from the bank, in return for advertising - and in schools broadcasting hours to boot, which I thought was a no-no. This isn't the same as, for example, "Thank you to West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue for their assistance" in a fire sequence, or "We acknowledge the assistance of the such-and-such National Park", where they filmed some scenes.

Newer posts