The Newsroom

BBC News Channel Presentation - 21/03/16 onwards

Split from BBC News Channel General Discussion (March 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
Major difference Blair v Cameron, is that Blair immediately resigned from the Commons, not expecting DC's departure to be anything like as much as a showpiece occasion, important yes, but less so.
IL
i-lied
I think this occasion is bigger as the UK is in the middle of a crisis. Events are fast moving, I expect the BBC were planning all of this for September but suddenly had to bring everything forward to today in order to provide coverage. I suspect the BBC have got people on standby at the moment currently.
IL
i-lied
11-1 on the NC tomorrow is a separate News Special with Jane Hill at Westminster which will include PMQs.

They talk about not having money and possibly cutting back even more on News Channel yet opt to produce separate coverage!

I think that the BBC would be caught between a rock and a hard place as there would be criticism if they didn't do anything but at the same time, this was all in the pipeline for September and also something that the merger wouldn't accomplish, is that there are two different audiences that want different coverage. The UK will want more than the world.
BR
Brekkie
dvboy posted:
I think Tony Blair went straight from PMQ's to Buckingham Palace on his last day, so they can happen lunchtime/early afternoon. Perhaps not quite as early this time though as IIRC Her Majesty has an engagement in Cambridge in the morning

Here's the TV Forum thread from that day: http://www.tvforum.co.uk/thenewsroom/blair-leaving-brown-incoming-27-25482/

They cut Blair's speech at the end of PMQs short to go to Wimbledon.

Always interesting looking back at such threads and good to see that most of the problems identified there were not an issue today. Especially good to see the comparison in how ITV News treated events between then and now.

Have to laugh though at the criticism of the BBC cutting away from "the most iconic image was taking place, the one remembered by history". On the day something can seem to be so important but even without the recent Iraq Inquiry report Blairs exit speech was pretty much forgotten by history.
WO
Worzel
Rather odd opening to the 11pm bulletin on the News channel.

They were using some special New Prime Minister titles and tried to incorporate them into the Newsroom pan and studio sweep shot and it didn't quite work out.
IL
i-lied
Rather odd opening to the 11pm bulletin on the News channel.

They were using some special New Prime Minister titles and tried to incorporate them into the Newsroom pan and studio sweep shot and it didn't quite work out.

The New Prime Minister titles have been used all early-evening. The full titles were the length of the globe usually.
IL
i-lied
Very interesting location opening for the News at Six. Short titles with pan of Downing Street.
GM
Gary McEwan
With the events in Nice currently unfolding the NC is now joining World and taking Newsday at 11pm.
CR
Critique
Ooh, posted in the wrong thread. Newsday is being anchored solely from London, makes it the third time this week that Newsnight has been dropped on the NC.
NE
News96
Highlighting exactly why having the Newsnight repeat on the NC is completely pointless-If anything needs to be cut (since we now know the NC Won't be closed or merged with World News) it needs to be this.
CH
chris
Highlighting exactly why having the Newsnight repeat on the NC is completely pointless-If anything needs to be cut (since we now know the NC Won't be closed or merged with World News) it needs to be this.

Erm you do realise that the Newsnight repeat is a cut itself?
NE
News96
chris posted:

Erm you do realise that the Newsnight repeat is a cut itself?

Which needs to be uncut asap -and just for info they are yet again having two editions of The Papers tonight due to last night's events which means yet again that the Newsnight repeat isn't happening-and it will have only been on once (Tuesday) in the whole week this week.

Newer posts