TV Home Forum

Sponsorship of TV programmes

(July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
I have to ask, I know there nothing usually about them, but back in the 90s Scottish TV used Sponsorship of a produced and used it as part of the titles and credits. I never saw this with anyone company. Did anyone else have sponsorship like this?

BR
Brekkie
Not quite sure what you're asking but if you're asking whether other regions took a version without the sponsorship I suspect they did.

If you're asking whether other shows did something similar then the answer is yes, although I don't think the practice continued very long in terms of sponsorship, although advertiser funded programmes can I think still have their logo integrated into the titles.

An example with This Morning:

1998 World Cup:

Lucky Numbers:

Personally I think it worked well on the shows I highlighted but it really jars on the Take the High Road example.
Last edited by Brekkie on 14 July 2016 9:50pm
AN
Ant
I remember back in the days when Coronation Street was sponsored by Cadbury the sponsorship ad appeared before the production endcap. That seemed to be a thing of the past by the early 2000s IIRC.

Example:

WH
Whataday Founding member
Another example:

The ITC allowed sponsorship to be integrated into programme titles from 1st January 1994. The code was tightened in 1997 to say that there should be a clear distinction between the sponsor and the programme.

When Cadbury started sponsoring Corrie they could only use a chocolate representation of the street and no likenesses of any of the characters.
:-(
A former member
The ITC allowed sponsorship to be integrated into programme titles from 1st January 1994. The code was tightened in 1997 to say that there should be a clear distinction between the sponsor and the programme..

IF it was Jan 94 ITC allowed sponsorship to be integrated into programme, how did STV get away with this in Late 92.

When Cadbury started sponsoring Corrie they could only use a chocolate representation of the street and no likenesses of any of the characters.

Again how did there get away with Alec Gilroy

WH
Whataday Founding member
IF it was Jan 94 ITC allowed sponsorship to be integrated into programme, how did STV get away with this in Late 92.

The initial ITC sponsorship rules allowed the first 15 seconds of the programme to be given to the sponsor, so the link you posted is fine - the full titles played following the sponsor. There was a strict EU rule prohibiting any product slogans in programme sponsorship which was relaxed at the request of the UK in 1993.

The change of code in 1994 meant that the sponsor could be fully integrated, with the logo (and slogan) displayed at the beginning and end of the opening titles.

And that's not Alec Gilroy... although I seem to remember Granada getting in trouble at one stage for having someone that was too similar to a real character - possibly Vera?
JA
james-2001
The Chart Show was doing it from late 1991, with the Pepe Jeans logo integrated into the titles- and then they did the same with the Twix logo from 1993.
WH
Whataday Founding member
The Chart Show was doing it from late 1991, with the Pepe Jeans logo integrated into the titles- and then they did the same with the Twix logo from 1993.

Any reference to the branding would have disappeared 15 seconds into the titles. Matching the sponsor message to the style of the titles was allowed, providing it was only the first 15 seconds. It wasn't until 1994 that fully integrated titles were allowed.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Also, it wasn't until late 2000 that the sponsor's product could be shown in sponsorship messages, hence in the Crunchie ad posted above it's a catherine wheel that explodes rather than a Crunchie bar.
FL
flaziola
A lot of sports programming integrates sponsorship into titles. Champions League probably the most famous.
MI
Michael
The obvious example being Ford Super Sunday.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I'm glad 3D animation has come on since the days of that High Road sponsorship credit.

Newer posts