Mass Media & Technology

Amazon Fire TV and Stick

News, updates and gossip about the Fire OS (March 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
Yes. Real shame. The proliferation of terrible Chinese Android boxes with it pre-installed (along with infamous plugins that assist in piracy) are the big problem.

The main reason XBMC became Kodi was so that the trademark could be protected - but it's a never-ending battle.
LL
London Lite Founding member
And as we mentioned before, those companies are also selling pre-installed Kodi with the pirate add-ons with Amazon Fire Sticks.

There are some decent legit add-ons from the Kodi repository including an excellent BBC iPlayer add-on which will play catch-up at 720p/50 instead of using adaptive bitrates, along with YouTube and Zattoo Box which is useful if you'd rather watch Zattoo UK (Or Switzerland/Germany) without using a browser.

I haven't got round to playing DVD's on Kodi yet, but have used it to watch TV using my August T210 or the Zattoo add-on.

24 days later

MI
Michael
Anyone had any luck sideloading NOWTV onto an Android Fire box?
LL
Anyone had any luck sideloading NOWTV onto an Android Fire box?

I've not tried it myself, but I suspect the PQ would be poor in comparison to using an official NOW TV app as the Android app is designed for mobile or tablets. You may also need a mouse to navigate as some Android apps don't work properly with the Fire remote.
MI
Michael
It renders the interface portrait style on a landscape screen, so it's horribly shatliffed. Also for some reason the Amazon box doesn't like my USB wireless mouse.
LL
It renders the interface portrait style on a landscape screen, so it's horribly shatliffed. Also for some reason the Amazon box doesn't like my USB wireless mouse.

You can use a Bluetooth mouse with the Fire TV or Stick, they perform better.

56 days later

LL
I've taken the plunge and bought a Fire TV box. Big improvement on the Fire Stick purely so I can use Ethernet and is much faster. However, the remote that comes with it is poor, so using my standard Fire remote as the new one keeps disconnecting.

Being able to connect a mouse or keyboard speeds up signing in or adding to Kodi.

Edit: The voice controller reconnected to the Fire TV after taking the batteries out for 5 mins.
Last edited by London Lite on 24 September 2016 6:40pm
LL
Some quick observations about the Fire Box apps.

TV Player performs a lot better than on the Stick, streaming the highest possible stream with at least a 480p picture on PLUS channels.

Amazon Video as you'd expect is excellent for 720/1080p content. As I don't have 4K, I haven't tested that. An improvement on the Fire Stick and LG Smart TV app.

The Netflix app has an issue where it's hard to read the menus, however it works perfectly if you cast from the Netflix app on Android with no issues playing 50/60Hz content.

Both the YouTube app and the Kodi YT add-on have issues streaming 50Hz content despite the settings being at 50Hz with motion judder. This isn't apparent with the Fire Stick.

The Voice activated remote can be a bit flaky, losing connection on occasion, while the standard remote has never lost connection. The voice stuff is a gimmick personally.
LL
Amazon are releasing a new version of the Fire Stick in the US, branded as the rather long winded 'Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote' and will be upgraded from Dual Core to Quad Core.

Existing Fire TV boxes will also be upgraded to have Alexa and a new UI will be launched before Christmas.
JA
Jake
Amazon are releasing a new version of the Fire Stick in the US, branded as the rather long winded 'Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote' and will be upgraded from Dual Core to Quad Core.

Existing Fire TV boxes will also be upgraded to have Alexa and a new UI will be launched before Christmas.

Hopefully now the Echo has launched in this country we'll see Alexa on Fire TV too, it's been available on the Fire TV in the US for some time.

69 days later

LL
A new interface is being rolled out to Fire TV and Fire Stick 2nd Gen models.

http://www.aftvnews.com/new-interface-now-rolling-out-to-fire-tvs-and-fire-tv-sticks-in-5-2-4-0-update/
LL
Noticed since I installed the latest upgrade to the Fire TV.

New look to Netflix. (The previous update has also allowed you to access Netflix titles from the Amazon UI)
Apps that juddered at 50Hz including All4, BBC iPlayer and Sky News no longer do so.
Dolby which didn't work before (on my box) is.

Sideloaded Android apps still work, there have been unsubstantiated rumours that Amazon would disable the feature.

Newer posts