The Gallery

'AM' graphics

Latest version of graphics on P10 (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CY
cyberdude
Hello all,
My name is Rhys, and I am the founder of online TV channel Slash TV (slashtv.co.uk). Here are the initial titles and graphics for our breakfast show, 'Slash Early', based on a 'circles' motif. There is also a channel ident thrown in for good measure at the start of the second clip. There is more to come.

First, here is a 'Latest News' wipe, used when going into news segments from ad breaks and 'coming up' screens.

Next, here is the full, almost 3 minute, video of the basic graphics:
UB
UBox
What have I just watched. I hate it when someone comments on a mock you've done and gives no constructive criticism but I'm going to have to be that person here because this is the worst mock I've ever seen on here. I try not to be extremely harsh but there is NO way of sugar coating it.

If there's something I'm going to say its that the layout is average but the size of the graphics is way too big, look at other programs; the graphics should all fit in the lower third; hense the name. They should be much smaller and also there was overlapping text, different sized straps each time & as a grammar Nazi Mad

Try again and come back. Also not sure what yellow rain is and I don't think they forecast for golden showers...
AG
AxG
Awful.
PA
PATV Scunthorpe
Just no.

Your software used information says: CyberLink PowerDirector, Adobe Photoshop, Corel Painter, Sony Vegas

1) If you are using Sony Vegas then why can't you export as a normal video?
2)Since you have Cyberlink PowerDirector (just looked up what it is) why do you need it AND Vegas?
3)Photoshop? Where have you used it?
4)Corel Painter? (again had to look up) Again, why two programmes of the same category?
5) Why did you use a screen recorder, with editing software and pictures?

And if you look hard enough you can get a different screen recorder that records viewable footage.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
"Yellow Rain", in lieu of the fact it appears on the site's "weather" page is supposedly the yellow warning of rain that you find on the Met Office website.

Online TV mocks I'm keen to cut a bit of slack to compared to mocks for TV broadcast, but in this case this is, well, I think they can read those astons from the other side of the internet. This looks somebody's had an accident in Powerpoint and limping along waiting to be put down.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind - there is no merit here as it stands, I'm sorry to say, primarily for reasons UBox has already mentioned. On a positive note - um, better luck next time?
CY
cyberdude
Am working on an update, will post soon. Thanks for your comments.
JT
JamesTV
I understand that this is for an online show, but if you want to do things properly, you should really look at existing breakfast show graphics such as BBC Breakfast and Good Morning Britain. They use a consistent colour palette and font to achieve a professional look.

You seem to be using a jarring colour scheme and a huge range of different fonts.

Look at the work that went into designing the Good Morning Britain graphics by clicking here. This will hopefully give you an idea of how to start and develop your graphics.

My graphics mocks aren't brilliant but I always look at existing graphics in use on TV and other mocks on TV Forum for inspiration. That's always a great place to start.
DW
DavidWhitfield
I pretty much echo everyone else's comments. The different colours, shapes and sizes look a bit of a mess when on screen all together.

For me, it could be improved by getting rid of the shadows, making everything much smaller and trying to stick to one typeface. I would advise you to take a look at news channels and breakfast shows and the graphics they use to help inform your choices. I'm afraid to say that they are a million miles from your current creation.

Don't be disappointed by any given criticism - take it on board and your work will improve.
Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 23 June 2016 1:26am - 2 times in total
Warbler, orange and JamesTV gave kudos
DB
dbl
Sorry, but this is Paint level of mocks, Awful.
Last edited by dbl on 19 June 2016 7:55am
BB
BBI45
I can only echo other people's comments. This is simply awful! As DavidWhitfield said, take criticism on board and your work will improve. However at the moment, I can't say much good about it.
OR
orange
D..Did you use Paint?! ...

I'm so sorry but this is just awful. Clunky, garish, drop shadow-y garbage. Vast improvement needs to be made for this to even look good. I feel like I'm sounding harsh but it just needs to be said. Try again.
AlexEdohHD13 and UBox gave kudos
JB
JasonB
At least it's not another Good Morning Britain Mock

Newer posts