International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update
MSNBC, All In with Chris Hayes, 2014:

CH
Charles
Here's the first few minutes of an edition of World News on CNNI in 2002. I really miss that theme, and I really miss Colleen McEdwards:

WW
WW Update
A sneak preview of the atrium set for France Télévisions' soon-to-launch news channel:

I believe this is the same atrium that formerly housed France 2's main news set (see beginning of this clip):

Last edited by WW Update on 18 June 2016 7:02pm - 2 times in total
Charles and London Lite gave kudos
DV
dvboy
Here's the first few minutes of an edition of World News on CNNI in 2002. I really miss that theme, and I really miss Colleen McEdwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW1WiNd1csY

We used to have CNN on in the lobby of the building where I worked, and then on the internal distribution system at the university I went to - presumably these were both pointing at the old Sky Analogue birds as the latter had CNBC, BBC World and German channels, and if you wanted a UK channel that wasn't analogue terrestrial you had to request the Sky digibox to be retuned by phone (it was BBC News 24 by default and I remember once requesting BBC4 to record Threads for the library).

I watched a lot of CNN in this era and really liked it (wasn't it also on Freeview for a while around then too?)
Last edited by dvboy on 18 June 2016 8:02pm
WW
WW Update
Here's a clip of CNNI's World News from 1992 -- when I started watching the network:

LL
London Lite Founding member
dvboy posted:

I watched a lot of CNN in this era and really liked it (wasn't it also on Freeview for a while around then too?)

There were a couple of periods of evening slots on Freeview I recall as well. However I was watching on 19.2E from 96 until I think 2003?
Last edited by London Lite on 18 June 2016 8:36pm
WW
WW Update
Here's a rare fragment of CNN Deutschland, a CNNI opt-out shown several times a day in the late 1990s on cable (but not satellite) in Germany:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hxm8OKz55U
DV
dvboy
Just had a look, CNN replaced Nuts TV on Freeview in January 2009, increased its hours in April 2009 and left the platform in November 2010.

I thought it was on earlier than that but probably mistaken in thinking I was watching it in halls in 2002-2004 rather than in university buildings.
LL
London Lite Founding member
dvboy posted:
Just had a look, CNN replaced Nuts TV on Freeview in January 2009, increased its hours in April 2009 and left the platform in November 2010.

I thought it was on earlier than that but probably mistaken in thinking I was watching it in halls in 2002-2004 rather than in university buildings.

I'm sure that was the second time CNN joined the platform basically as filler when Nuts TV closed.
BR
Brekkie
dvboy posted:

Must admit I thought it was around a lot longer than that too - possibly in a different time slot.
CH
Charles
I don't know much about it on Freeview in the early 2009s, but I do know that CNNI did start/expand its hours on Freeview as a key part of its programming strategy at the time. That was during the "Go Beyond Borders" era when CNNI was trying to build a CNN US-style appointment-to-view primetime block for European audiences. Being on Freeview was to attract a bigger UK audience. We can let history decide how successful that entire strategy was.

Also, that clip of CNN in German is something I've never seen before. I knew CNN had a Berlin bureau that contributed to the London-based CNN This Morning for a while, but I had no idea there was an opt-out in German as well. Thanks for digging that up!
Last edited by Charles on 18 June 2016 10:00pm
WW
WW Update
The latest 1980s news intro compilation from Sebastian Albarran (I had mistakenly posted one of his older-but-updated compilations a few days ago):

Newer posts