TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2015 with 90s idents

NEW: Dragons Den ident with a nod to the past (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
rdd Founding member
Really strange ident into Newsnight just now, which is leading with the White Paper on the future of the BBC...
:-(
A former member
SO someone else so this aswell!
IR
Ian R
rdd posted:
Really strange ident into Newsnight just now, which is leading with the White Paper on the future of the BBC...

What was it? Smile
VM
VMPhil
Silk ident with normal voiceover, then ripped in half to reveal a '2' set in basic Gill Sans, which explodes to reveal static. Then into Newsnight with the static on the video wall behind Evan Davis.

Thought this was a bit odd as it seems to blur the lines between editorial content in a programme and a standard BBC ident.
BR
Brekkie
Well one was the ident and the second the introduction of Newsnight with the headline being the government attempting to destroy the BBC - the exact reason we're stuck with recycled 25 year old idents.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I'd find it amusingly charming if it wasn't in light of some potentially horrific circumstances.
VM
VMPhil
Well one was the ident and the second the introduction of Newsnight with the headline being the government attempting to destroy the BBC - the exact reason we're stuck with recycled 25 year old idents.

There was no separation between ident and programme as you imply - this was all part of one sequence, perhaps pre-recorded and played out by Newsnight?
:-(
A former member
There was a clear cut between ident and programme on network. Wales had Paint Pot.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Hey presto, my annual good deed for the forum.

NYTV, Justin and D.Page gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
My issue was that the ident at first glance looks like a statement the BBC are making on their own future, as there is no real separation between the normal ident/announcement and the '2' explosion going into TV static, which I thought it was a bit ethically unsound.

I fully agree with those who say the BBC is in a dangerous position and needs to be saved from a government on track to virtually destroy it. I just felt this was uncharacteristic of the BBC. It sort of reminds me of those ITV sponsorships from the 90s like on This Morning where there was no real separation between the sponsor and the titles.

Looks like I'm the only one who thinks this though so I'll happily defer. I know there are more pressing issues!
BR
Brekkie
The BBC should be able to use it's airwaves defend itself, and not just in news- it's in the interests of licence fee payers for them to do so.

Ridiculous to complain about an ident depicting the destruction of the BBC when the papers have free reign to print rubbish about the corporation day after day after day.
DP
D.Page
Silk ident with normal voiceover, then ripped in half to reveal a '2' set in basic Gill Sans, which explodes to reveal static. Then into Newsnight with the static on the video wall behind Evan Davis.

Well I never... a very rare occasion of Network surprising us. Even NI only played Paint. Many thanks go to Larry the Loafer for uploading it quickly from BBC2 Live iPlayer stream. I take it no one managed to capture the playout in high quality.

Newer posts