TV Home Forum

Channel 5 general discussion

(revised repeat) (February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RE
remlap
Tunes fine on my cheap Astrometa T2 stick, wish I didn't have to boot a Windows 7 session to tune in DVB-T2 with it though.

LL
London Lite Founding member
I'll have a go with Next PVR later to see if it can receive it with just the PID.
LS
Lou Scannon
Looks like the test transmission isn't different from Channel 5 HD that is around all ready, Maybe waiting for a programme to launch the channel.

Rylan Clark-Neal's new chat show, perhaps?
PF
PFML84
They need to move that DOG into the corner more! Same with the rest of their channels.
ST
Stuart
I agree. If you're broadcasting an HD channel, everyone watching must be able to see a 16:9 screen (even if in letterbox format). I fail to see the reason for putting a 5HD DOG in the 4:3 safe area.

ISTR that C5's on demand service seems to put the DOGs in the right place.
NG
noggin Founding member
Works fine on a Linux PC running TV Headend tuned to PSB3. Channel appears with no name - but that's easy to solve.
DV
dvboy
I agree. If you're broadcasting an HD channel, everyone watching must be able to see a 16:9 screen (even if in letterbox format). I fail to see the reason for putting a 5HD DOG in the 4:3 safe area.

ISTR that C5's on demand service seems to put the DOGs in the right place.

Still the old logo on the Now TV app. The DOG is generated by the app rather than burned into the video.
PF
PFML84
Their catch-up service is just called "Channel 5" on Sky and the description of it still refers to "5*", the logo is just the new Channel 5 logo. Did no-one tell Sky it is called My5 now and has its own dedicated logo? They're usually very quick at updating these things.

On Samsung smart TV's it's still called Demand 5 with the old logo and the DOG is the really old one C5 had when Desmond took over and it's way in the 4:3 safe zone. I wonder if these will ever be updated. Probably not.
JA
Jake
pad-e posted:
Their catch-up service is just called "Channel 5" on Sky and the description of it still refers to "5*", the logo is just the new Channel 5 logo. Did no-one tell Sky it is called My5 now and has its own dedicated logo? They're usually very quick at updating these things.

On Samsung smart TV's it's still called Demand 5 with the old logo and the DOG is the really old one C5 had when Desmond took over and it's way in the 4:3 safe zone. I wonder if these will ever be updated. Probably not.

I think they only announced the mobile apps and website as being 'My5', I don't know the reasoning behind that though.
TM
tmf9
pad-e posted:

The 'My5' brand is not going to be used on Sky or Virgin Media.
PF
PFML84
That's mad. Why would they not want an overall name for the service? It looks stupid on Sky now not having a name when it used to be called "Demand 5". Why not even keep it as Demand 5 for Sky then? What a baffling decision!
NG
noggin Founding member
pad-e posted:
That's mad. Why would they not want an overall name for the service? It looks stupid on Sky now not having a name when it used to be called "Demand 5". Why not even keep it as Demand 5 for Sky then? What a baffling decision!

Not baffling if the My5 web and app service has personalisation and the Virgin and Sky services don't. With a name like My5 I suspect they have some degree of that.

Newer posts