TV Home Forum

Chris Evans to host Top Gear

Split from Jeremy Clarkson suspended over (June 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
Larry the Loafer
Are people going to actually pay attention to the other side of this "story" or just take what The Sun (yes, THE SUN) reports at face value...

TL
Toby Lerone
Are people going to actually pay attention to the other side of this "story" or just take what The Sun (yes, THE SUN) reports at face value...

Whose star columnist on Saturday is Jeremy Clarkson, anyway Matt LeBlanc has also tweeted on the matter

JA
james-2001
Give it a rest for goodness sake. What has Evans ever done to you?

He's not made racist comments or assaulted his co-workers. He's too PC for the likes of him.
JA
james-2001

Cos we all know how Murdoch is the BBC's biggest fan.
DB
DalekBChannel523
Give it a rest for goodness sake. What has Evans ever done to you?

He's not made racist comments or assaulted his co-workers. He's too PC for the likes of him.

Jeremy Clarkson never made racist comments, he just went against the whole PC nonsense. People are way too sensitive.
DA
davidhorman
Jeremy Clarkson never made racist comments

slope (n.) informal offensive
a person from Asia, especially Vietnam or elsewhere in Southeast Asia.
JA
james-2001
Don't forget the infamous eenie, meenie, minie, moe incident...
DA
davidhorman

Well, now, I have some sympathy for Clarkson there. It was more recitation than active racism, and his apology made it clear that he was aghast (for once) at the implication. He could do with trying humble more often.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I'd also argue nobody knew what "slope" meant until people started to moan that Clarkson said it.

That being said, anybody who says Clarkson has never said anything offensive and just "goes against PC" has no idea what they're talking about.

I'm not one to get offended on behalf of other people, and Clarkson has never offended me personally, but if somebody has been offended by an insult, you can't cover it as "political correctness gone mad". There are ways of justifying it if you need to. Claiming "it's because PC is silly" is a sh*t method.
LS
Lou Scannon
slope (n.) informal offensive
a person from Asia, especially Vietnam or elsewhere in Southeast Asia.

I'd also argue nobody knew what "slope" meant until people started to moan that Clarkson said it.

Indeed.

The fallout seemed surreal to me at the time. I felt like Clarkson himself and whoever complained were the only two members of the entire human race who would apply any racist meaning to the word.

Before this particular Top Gear episode, if you'd have asked me to write down a list of all the words that I am aware get used as racist slurs, I would never have even remotely thought of the word "slope". I have only ever known it to mean e.g. "gradient". I expect the same is true of 99.9% of people who saw the original broadcast.

Presumably the word's use in this sense is limited to certain people, e.g. those over a certain age, or those who went to posh school, or only really known outside of the UK, or whatever.
BA
Bail Moderator

Well, now, I have some sympathy for Clarkson there. It was more recitation than active racism, and his apology made it clear that he was aghast (for once) at the implication. He could do with trying humble more often.

That and he never said it on TV, it was from unused rushes some git sold to the sun!
JO
Jonny

Jeremy Clarkson never made racist comments, he just went against the whole PC nonsense. People are way too sensitive.

I'm going to deck a colleague whilst reassuring everyone around me "don't worry, I'm just rallying against the whole PC nonsense", as I slap them repeatedly across the chops.

Then I will rock myself to sleep in a nice padded room all of my own.

Newer posts