Local TV

Are you local? (July 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
God that's painful.
GO
gottago
SHUT IT DOWN. SHUT THE WHOLE CHANNEL DOWN.

No one will get any enjoyment out of that programme. Literally no one. How can no one see that whilst they're making it? Why is no one telling them to be less dreadful?
CI
cityprod
SHUT IT DOWN. SHUT THE WHOLE CHANNEL DOWN.

No one will get any enjoyment out of that programme. Literally no one. How can no one see that whilst they're making it? Why is no one telling them to be less dreadful?

You imagine that any of the team there are trying tp produce bad programming? Perhaps they can't see how bad it is, because they're too close to it, in a manner of speaking.
DV
dvboy
If it was aimed at kids, with a different title, and tightened up a bit, it might work with those features.
WH
Whataday Founding member
You imagine that any of the team there are trying tp produce bad programming? Perhaps they can't see how bad it is, because they're too close to it, in a manner of speaking.

We then they shouldn't be making television if they haven't got a clue of how bad it is.

I'm saying that with caution as the programming I have produced is not without flaws, but I can confidently say it's nowhere near as bad as that!
DV
dvboy
Not seen your programme, Whataday, but as long as it's not you and a co-presenter sat on a sofa for thirty minutes it's bound to be better than a lot of Local TV.
UBox, London Lite and Brekkie gave kudos
CI
cityprod

We then they shouldn't be making television if they haven't got a clue of how bad it is.

I'm saying that with caution as the programming I have produced is not without flaws, but I can confidently say it's nowhere near as bad as that!

Jeez, calm down. You're over-reacting to something that was bad, but not Sheffield Live bad.

And hey, even "proper" TV can't produce great episodes every single time. Every TV series has its share of bad apples, no matter how much you work on it, sometimes it just doesn't work as well as it should. #

As much power as the media has, it is still at times only about 2 steps up from carnival barking, and we shouldn't get too invested in it, even when it's our livelihood.
WH
Whataday Founding member

Jeez, calm down. You're over-reacting to something that was bad, but not Sheffield Live bad.

And hey, even "proper" TV can't produce great episodes every single time. Every TV series has its share of bad apples, no matter how much you work on it, sometimes it just doesn't work as well as it should. #

As much power as the media has, it is still at times only about 2 steps up from carnival barking, and we shouldn't get too invested in it, even when it's our livelihood.

That's absolute nonsense. Firstly, we're on TV Forum so to say we shouldn't be too invested in it is like saying an ice cream seller shouldn't be too invested in finding out when hot weather's on its way.

Also, considering a percentage of my income comes from local television, I am perfectly entitled to get annoyed when it appears certain channels are not taking it seriously.

But besides that, whether you work in a factory, or you're a doctor, or you produce television you should always strive to do your very best. I know first hand of the budgetary constraints of local television and it's perfectly true that you get what you pay for, but there's a difference between cheap TV and "couldn't care less TV", and that Geek programme had a real feeling of just going through the motions without any attempt at decent programming.

There are PLENTY of talented people that would love the experience to work on these channels for next to no money, so in my eyes there is no excuse for pumping out that drivel.
MO
Mouseboy33

But besides that, whether you work in a factory, or you're a doctor, or you produce television you should always strive to do your very best. I know first hand of the budgetary constraints of local television and it's perfectly true that you get what you pay for, but there's a difference between cheap TV and "couldn't care less TV", and that Geek programme had a real feeling of just going through the motions without any attempt at decent programming.

There are PLENTY of talented people that would love the experience to work on these channels for next to no money, so in my eyes there is no excuse for pumping out that drivel.

PREACH!
SL
Shaun Linden
Indeed. Some of the programmes I have seen on various local channels have been absolutely atrocious. You don't need thousands of pounds to produce a great report. Just look on YouTube and you'll see some wonderful videos by people produced on next to nothing.

It seems people in charge are either part failed know-it-alls or those just out of college who think what they do is fab.

My barometer is 'if something major is happening locally, how would they cover it'. We have many devices that can do live streaming nowadays. London Live and STV Local channels could be doing much more with regards to news. You want to be the station that can become the call post for when news is breaking or a developing story.

Man charged last night with policeman's murder - get on air with an update, reel off Met Police statement, get on phone with reporter (who is probably at home in bed, not the point, can still talk for 2 mins to pump out coverage) and recap. Yes it will cost some money, but you need to start the ball rolling.
Last edited by Shaun Linden on 10 April 2016 10:21am
HC
Hatton Cross
Or, a dangerous ethic of 'no-one is watching, so lets put it out with those jarring edits, an out of the break audible cue count-in, and an off mic host.

Not that any channel would do that - would they Big Centre tv?
SL
Shaun Linden
Does it really come down to money as to why those errors happen? I mean, those types of things can go wrong on BBC or ITV for example, but they seem quite prevalent on Local TV. That must surely come down to those operating it?

Newer posts